The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Straps
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2005 12:45 pm    

Is there a cheaper alternative to a $45-50 reso strap (Beardguitars.com)? Or will your answers be "go for it, Jon--you won't regret it"?

Bob Storti

Matthews, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2005 1:52 pm    

Some reso players might consider the $45-50 range straps as the cheap ones. Bobby Poff makes wonderful custom straps that start around $120 and go up from there.

I use a Webb 2" strap with a quick-release headstock loop (about $40-45) - it's fine for now. I wouldn't go too much cheaper then that. Good Luck!

Bob

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2005 2:31 pm    

Gaaa! Thanks for the education. Yeah, it's the Webb that I'm looking at. I guess I can buy it now without wondering if I should have looked for something more 'sensible'. Or I can tie an old extension chord to the guitar. That always screams 'class'.

Dana Duplan

Ramona, CA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2005 11:23 pm    

Well, would you believe $225 as the base price for the Poff straps? I know, I just placed my order this week--basic black Beavertail. This is the only model he makes now--of course the sky's the limit on options. So, the newly acquired Webb is on the chopping block to help recoup some of the $$
DD

James Brown

Mt Uniacke, Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2005 3:33 am    

[This message was edited by James Brown on 05 March 2005 at 03:55 AM.]

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2005 7:08 am    

Jon, I've owned dobros since 1972 and have gone trough various straps.

Leather is nice in a John Wayne kind of way. I had one for several years and it broke on me (got rigid and cracked due to age) while playing with my guitarist friend on his gig.

I tried the webbing type strap and found them too slippery. I ended up with some plain black heavy cloth woven straps. They are the extra long guitarist's straps and I bought them at either Manny's or Sam A$$H.
I think they're $19.00 if I recall correctly. They are inexpensive and comfortable. I use the quick connect thing also. No problem. I the happiest with this kind.

I'll spend thousands on a reso, but I will absolutely not put down a couple of hundred for a strap when it will do the same thing for one that is one tenth the price. Maybe that's because I'm a manufacturer in the garment industry and know what my end products end up selling for.

This is my personal preference without any intentions of slighting anyone else's.

[This message was edited by HowardR on 04 March 2005 at 07:18 AM.]

David Yannuzzi

Pomona , New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2005 12:11 pm    

I have tried long guitar straps, leather straps,and a cheaper dobro strap. My opinion was the webb was the most comfortable and i am not worried about slipping off the strap nut because it has a nice locking system. -Dave

David Yannuzzi

Pomona , New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2005 12:16 pm    

I have tried long guitar straps, leather straps,and a cheaper dobro strap. My opinion was the webb was the most comfortable and i am not worried about slipping off the strap nut because it has a nice locking system. -Dave

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2005 12:21 pm    

Wow!

Jon Light from NYC, David Yannuzzi from NYC and HowardR from NYC, all play Dobro, all on the Steel Guitar Forum!

I can't believe the coincidence!

Do you guys know another Dobro playing friend of mine who lives in NYC? I can't remember his name but he lives on one of those numbered streets in an apartment. His apartment is near a bunch of stores and offices.

Come on fellas, help me here, this guy owes me some money.

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website
Board of Directors Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association

[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 04 March 2005 at 12:24 PM.]

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2005 12:39 pm    

Gerald--yeah I know him. Name starts with a letter, I think. Kind of a jerk, right? About yea tall and this wide? Wears pants? Likes to do things? Yep, that's him.

Dana and James--thank you kindly. I'm hoping to have something in hand by tomorrow--the beauty of NY is that I have several music mega-stores and some smaller boutiques--chances are good that I will score. Howard--thanks for sharing the experience. Good info. BTW--after you all starting thinking highly of me, truthfully, this is for my new Melobar, not a Dobro.

Gerald I'll, pick ol' whatssisname's pocket next time I see him and I'll send you half.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2005 5:33 pm    

The slipping that I was talking about was not the lock, but the strap slipping around on my shoulder. I would always have to adjust the guitar back to a comfortable position because the strap was slippery.

Jon,.....you gonna' be playin' that thang at Hank's anytime soon?

Andy Greatrix

Edmonton Alberta
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2005 6:02 pm    

If you want to save money and make your own, try laminating a length of heavy grade canvas between two pieces of naugahyde.
It will look like leather and wear like iron.
Make sure you stitch around the edges and end holes.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2005 2:54 pm    

Way beyond my patience, tools, inclination etc. , Andy. I get tremendous satisfaction out of doing some things for myself but I don't see this one as a fun or gratifying (or economical) project.
As it is, I couldn't find an honest to goodness Dobro strap in NYC but a $5 Ernie Ball nylon strap will fit the bill until I need o want something better.

Hey Howard--this guitar won't see the stench of Hank's until A) I have brought it up to speed--the nut & bridge just plain suck and the strings don't ring worth a damn. I'm making new ones--10 string ones to boot---and B) until I am having the kind of fun and inspiration with this that I am suddenly having with the Stringmaster---I just recently fell in love with this SM that I've had for several years and I am really jazzed about this E13 tuning. If I can get the ideas flowing on the Melobar that are spilling out all over the SM (what a mess) then I will have an exciting new axe here. Punch a dogie for me.

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2005 3:34 pm    

I use a standard leather guitar strap -- it's 2 1/2" wide, thin, smooth black on top, unfinished on the underside. To attach it to the the neck, I use a Planet Waves quick-release thingie -- it's a soft cord that goes around the headstock. Works perfectly, very stable, doesn't slip.

Peter

Travis Bernhardt

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2005 4:47 pm    

Cheap guitar strap + shoelace to extend length = dobro strap.

-Travis