The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Internet Filles
Kenny Forbess

peckerwood point, w. tn.
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2001 1:19 pm    

Can someone tell me how to Dump my entire temporary internet file without damageing any others,I have some stuff on there from the attack Sat.
I'm still kinda slow at computers, so please make it simple.
Thanks,
Kenny

Everett Cox

Marengo, OH, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2001 1:27 pm    

Kenny -- Fortunately, I didn't get any of that stuff. Check out Marty Pollard's 'about the attack' post under Bar Chatter. He has a tip about removing the crap. --Everett

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2001 3:10 pm    

In Internet Explorer, click on Tools and then Internet Options. In the center is an option to delete temporary internet files.

There shouldn't be any "bad" cookies and if you delete the tempoary internet files that should take care of any possible picture.

You have to be careful manually deleting cookies or you could accidentally delete "good" cookies such as the one for the forum so you don't have to log on everytime you visit.

Kenny Forbess

peckerwood point, w. tn.
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2001 6:24 pm    

Thanks Everett, I copied Marty's post,
I'll look at it and see what happens.

Jack I appreciate the help also,
I've used that that function before due to some of the same stuff flying around on e-mail, but when I delete it ,it's still there.
Do I need to restart or something ?
When I go to see the files, they're all in an envelope, but the name is below it like it still exists.I suppose they could still be opened??
Thanks
Kenny

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2001 3:34 am    

Almost anytime you delete something from the hard drive (or a floppy diskette), it is still there. All that's done is set a flag that says that area of the disk is available for writing. That's the theory and reason you can restore files from the Windows Recycle Bin. That is also the reason data can be read or found on hard drives in police cases.

If you defrag the disk it will write over sectors and eleminate many of the sectors that have the available flag set but there can still be recoverable data. What you have to do is a "security" erase in order to really delete the data. There are programs available that will erase data to the government security standards for data erasing. The old DOS Norton Utilities had a security erase function, with options for what level of erasing you wanted to do.

Everett Cox

Post  Posted 6 Mar 2001 8:49 am    

Kenny-- While Jack's explanation is esentially correct, a couple more things should be noted.

Data that is 'deleted' from disks in the standard way is, indeed, still on the disk untill those disk sectors get overwritten. That data, though, would NOT show in a normal view of your folders/files.

When you use the 'delete files' in your Internet Options, COOKIES normaly do NOT get deleted. Also, even if you do manually delete them from the Temporary Internet folder, cookie data entries continue to exist in the Windows/Cookies cache folder(s).

From the description you gave, it is unclear to me what, exactly, you mean by 'envelope'. And, as I am running Win95 and Explorer 4, your system may vary somewhat from mine. --Ev

Kenny Forbess

peckerwood point, w. tn.
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2001 8:51 am    

Thanks Jack, my only concern is, my wife and young son use this computer more than I do and I wouldn't want this stuff to pop up in thier face sometimes.
which leads to a story;
My wife is a hummingbird nut, she collects everything she can find about the little hummers,
one day she entered "humming birds" on the computer and it popped up, but they weren't the kind that fly,
I had to delete all of history to get it off,and it's still in temp folder "envelope" i mentioned before.
Anyway, one final question and I won't bug you anymore,
when I go to Disk clean-up (C),
it lists "files to delete".
Temp.internet files;
Offline files;
download program files;
recycle bin;
Temporary files;
I have the "temp internet file".45mb box checked,do I need to check the "temporary files" which has 501.51mb ?

Again, thanks for the help.
Kenny

Everett,your reply came up as I was writting this ,
what I meant about the "envelopes" was supposed to be a symbol for a "file" I suppose.
they're in the section where it says "view files".they all have the word"cookies"with my last name.
but when I point the mouse at them, it reveals the name of the file,
My concern is,can they be opened by just anyone surfing around?
Thanks for all your explainations,I feel better about the situation now.

Kenny

[This message was edited by KENNY FORBESS on 06 March 2001 at 09:06 AM.]

Everett Cox

Post  Posted 6 Mar 2001 6:10 pm    

Kenny -- If they are only cookies, they don't contain anything except some codes and double-clicking them won't do anything, anyway.

About the temp folder -- generally, it is OK to delete those files prior to exiting Windows. Better check, though. On my system, I occasionally see stuff I wouldn't want deleted - like 'favorites' and 'newsgroup' settings. Don't know why they're there - maybe Windows is only using the temp folder as expected.

I would hesitate to delete the 'downloaded files' folder. It contains a history of certain system downloads that is used to determine future requirements.

In any event, that's a lot of space you say is tied up. And it's likely ACTUALLY using MUCH more.

Take care. --Everett