The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Whatsat mean?
Rodney Shuffler

Montgomery, Texas USA (Home of the Bears)
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2001 10:20 pm    

Quote:
timed throughput 1675035bps

That's my speed.....is that pretty good? Rod

------------------

Emmons S-10 P/P

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2001 11:05 pm    

Me thinks.... your puter lied to you !

really tho,, throughput is calculated as a function of the comm software. Rarely does it give a true speed indication. (Even most modems don't run at rated speeds. If its a 56K modem, your lucky if the actualy throughput is close to 44k, most even down to 36k)

I wouldn't worry about the number. There isn't anything you can do about it short of going cable or a t1 connection.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2001 3:42 am    

If you are using a modem, some of the software will show the internal speed between the modem and the cpu, not the actual line connect speed. My internal USR modem had that problem when I first got it but they put out an update to the modem software that corrected it to show the modem line connect speed.

Here's another misconception, the modem connect speed is what everything is transferring at. Wrong, the connect speed is only the speed the modem connected at with the ISP's modem. At any given time the actual data throughput could be much less as it is constantly handshaking and adjusting the throughput speed based on the line conditions, which will vary. Also your uplink speed is limited to 33.6Kb by FCC rules. The data throughput rate is also a function of the combined WWW network.

When you go to broadband, obviously this all changes and speeds (uplink and downlink) are a function of what you buy - but are still changing depending on the various line conditions at any given time.

Rodney Shuffler

Montgomery, Texas USA (Home of the Bears)
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2001 5:06 am    

That's not what my computer told me, I got thathere. It varies every time I do it...I can refresh the page over and over and every time it's different. Right now it reads
Quote:
timed throughput 1877844bps

My computer sings since getting on cable internet......songs that may have taken 45 minutes to an hour to d/l from Napster when I was on phone lines now take 2-3 minutes......sometimes, when it's running a little faster......less than a minute if the other user is on cable too.

[This message was edited by Rodney Shuffler on 20 February 2001 at 05:07 AM.]

Everett Cox

Marengo, OH, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2001 9:17 am    

Hey Rod == Very interesting!!! Well, they SAID it's an experimental service! I'm getting a readout of 107116bps on a v90 modem connected at 44k so that sounds like they got to do some MORE experimenting.

Unless, maybe, their test packets get compressed??? -- Everett