The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  sound again
Joe Delaronde

Selkirk, Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2001 1:30 pm    

I have removed all sound players except Microsoft media player and I have reinstalled this with an upgrade.
Still no sound. What am I doing wrong????
Joe

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2001 1:46 pm    

Maybe you should have checked the status of your sound card in Control Panel, System, Device Manager before you deprived yourself of the ability to listen to types of music not readily available thru Windows Media Player.

------------------
Rebelâ„¢
ICQ 614585

http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

Joe Delaronde

Post  Posted 27 Jan 2001 2:47 pm    

Graham
The thing is, everything was going great up until a week ago. Now no sound, EXCEPT, BIAB & Power Tracks continue to work.
Joe

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2001 9:19 pm    

Joe:
Check to see if you haven't inadvertantly "muted" the outputs on your card. Right click on the speaker in your task bar and then click on "Open Volume Controls". The Play Control box will open. The mute button is at the bottom of each of the output (play) displays.
Another thing to check is in the Play Control window, click Options, then Properties and then in the box that opens, check to make sure all the things you want for Playback are checked off, then click on Record and do the same thing.

ie- cd audio, mic, line in, midi, wav etc.

If all this is ok and still no sound, try re-loading your sound card drivers.

------------------
Rebelâ„¢
ICQ 614585

http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

Joe Delaronde

Post  Posted 27 Jan 2001 11:53 pm    

All's ok in the speaker amp controls.
Uninstalled sound driver, powered-down & re-installed it.
Clicked on all sound sources I want in the amp & media player. Still no sound in media player.
Checked media properties/advanced/ and noticed where it says "codecs in use", this window is empty. Is it supposed to be. I thought a codec is needed to do the midi thing.
Joe

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2001 4:25 am    

BIAB uses MIDI to create the sounds. Media player uses .wav, Mp3 etc. If MIDI is working OK and there is not other sound program working then it is most likely a setup problem somewhere. Recheck the "Volume Control" and make sure nothing is muted and the sliders are not all in the "down" (off) position.

In the Windows Media Player, there is a volume option, make sure "mute" is NOT selected.

Does the regular windows wav sounds, such as when windows starts up or closes down or on errors?? You've got to isolate it down to exactly what is or isn't working, e.g. one particular program or all programs....

Joe Delaronde

Post  Posted 28 Jan 2001 9:36 am    

All windows startup, etc, sounds are working.
There are no other sound progs working when I'm on the net or wish play clips.
Checked media player controls----not muted and full volume. Hardware exileration on full by default.
In the "Advance" Tab;
"Options"- is set to "streaming media (windows media)" by default.
"Change" tab; buffering set at 5 by default.
"Protocols"; Multicast-ON (Default)
UDP- ON (Default)
Use Port - Not clicked ON (default)
TCP - ON (default)
HTTP - ON (default)
No Proxy - OFF (default)
Use browser proxy settings -ON (default)
Use proxy - OFF (default)

"Format" Tab; All selected

I don't know if this would reflect to my problem; I was using Biab, minimized it to look in the directories. Forgot to shut off Biab and booted Power Tracks. Immediately I got a message, "Another program is using, whatever". I had to reconfigure PT input & output device drivers to work. This is when the problem started with the sound players. Is it coincidence or maybe a switch was changed somewhere?
Joe

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2001 11:27 am    

Quote:
Immediately I got a message, "Another program is using, whatever".

If you want help with this sort of problem, you should probably pay attention to the "whatever" part and post it here where we can read it. Perhaps two programs were trying to use the same MIDI driver, and couldn't. That wouldn't cause your sound problem.

Joe Delaronde

Post  Posted 28 Jan 2001 12:52 pm    

Earnest
I understand that, but the message dissappeared before I could finish reading all of it. Should I dare try to duplicate it again??
OK! I duplicated the situation and got the following message.
"Error opening input driver: Roland MPU-401. Device is already in use by another program"
Like you said Earnest, I don't think this is the problem.
Joe
Joe

[This message was edited by Joe Delaronde on 28 January 2001 at 01:03 PM.]

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2001 3:09 pm    

Right. MPU-401 is for getting MIDI in and out of the computer, and it has nothing to do with sound.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2001 9:32 pm    

What version of Windows?

Joe Delaronde

Post  Posted 28 Jan 2001 10:35 pm    

Bob, Version 98

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2001 4:16 am    

What do you have running at windows startup?? Could it be something is running that is interferring with the WMP??? e.g. do you have the realplayer icon in the bottom right of the screen, which would mean it's activated at startup (I've found you do not have to have realplayer activate at startup, and it will still work properly).

Joe Delaronde

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2001 8:30 am    

I only have Task Scheduler and the "speaker" and clock, in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. I uninstalled All players, then downloaded and re-installed win media player and configured it as in the previous threads.
Maybe I should get drastic and uninstall Windows 98, then reinstall it. I wonder if this would help. The computer shop wants $50 to LOOK at my system.
Joe

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2001 9:04 am    

Joe, let me get this straight. Everything works (sounds play) except WMP, is this correct? e.g. Windows start and function/error alarms sound, etc.

Just trying to narrow down to what does or doesn't work for sure. That helps in trying to diagnose a problem.

Joe Delaronde

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2001 12:42 pm    

Jack
This what does NOT work!
-Windows medial player and Real player DO NOT produce any sound, BUT the "play" indicator shows that the program IS playing clip.

This is what works!
-Power Tracks produces sound.
-BIAB produces sound
- Windows produces sounds like email alert, power up, etc.
That's it! I thank you formites for being so patient with me and trying to isolate the problem.
Joe

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2001 1:27 pm    

That is a strange one. You could try reinstalling the multimedia software (control panel add/remove programs and then click on the Windows Set up tab). Possibly something got removed that shouldn't have been.

BIAB uses MIDI to generate it's sounds, not wav or MP3 and that's the reason it works. This is a clue to what the problem is but it's not doing me any good.

I don't know what Power Tracks uses. If it uses MIDI that would also explain why it is working.

In Windows98 there is a program called System File Checker that will keep track of system programs and allow you to recover lost or corrupted programs. However you would had to run it previously so it would have a database of programs and versions before you started having problems. (System File Checker can be run from the command prompt by going to Start then Run and entering SFC and then click OK.

If it gets to the pint you are considering reinstalling WIN98, if your hardware can handle Windows ME I strongly advise you to get it. WIN ME has a recovery feature that will allow you to restore your computer to an earlier time. e.g. if you have a computer fault, such as you had, or if you install a program and then have problems you can go to the system restore feature and it will restore your PC back the way it was before the problem occured. To me, it's worth the price of the upgrade s/w.