The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Need Help With MIDI...
John Paul Jones

San Diego
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2001 10:47 am    

Here’s a puzzle for you tekkies with some MIDI knowledge.

The computer programs I have are Cakewalk Pro and PowerTracks Pro.

I have a Roland VS-1880 recorder.

I also have a Boss DR-5 that I am using, experimentally, as a sound module.

I can get a MIDI clock signal from both computer programs to the DR-5 or to the
VS-1880.

My problem is: I can’t get a MIDI clock signal from the VS-1880 nor the DR-5 to
either computer program. In other words, the MIDI OUT from the computer seems
to be working fine, but the MIDI IN to the computer doesn’t seem to be working at
all.

Further evidence of this is that when I try to start the ‘Logic’ program that came
with the VS-1880 the program says it can’t detect my VS-1880 so the program
refuses to start.

I am using the MPU-401 driver for input and output. The MPU-401, according to
the book, calls for a port address of 330 and an IRQ interrupt of 2/9. The
MPU-401 is set at 330 and 9 on my computer.

So, now what do I try?

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

John Paul Jones

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2001 1:22 pm    

Do you have another MIDI device, such as a keyboard, and can you commuicate with another device other than the Roland?

I'd try another device, just to make sure there isn't a problem with the Roland. Also, try another MIDI cable. Also check the multimedia setup in the control panel and make sure the MIDI I/O is enabled.

This is nothing specfic to the particular MIDI equipment you have, but general things to check/do.

John Paul Jones

San Diego
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2001 3:19 pm    

Hello, Jack,

I'm using a Boss DR-5 rhythm machine to help with trying to figure this thing out. I get the same response from the computer with the DR-5 as I do the VS-1880... nothing.

I've checked the device drivers on the computer. The computer shows no conflicts.

I am using a MIDI cable plugged into the game port but that is a standard way to get MIDI into and out of a computer. There should be no problem there.

The music store where I bought the VS-1880 will figure this out for me, but I have to take the VS-1880 and my computer into the store. I'd rather not have to do that.

Thanks for the input.

John Paul Jones

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2001 3:33 pm    

Quote:
I am using a MIDI cable plugged into the game port but that is a standard way to get MIDI into and out of a computer. There should be no problem there.
Don't you need two MIDI cables - one for IN and one for OUT?

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2001 4:17 pm    

Yes, a MIDI cable is a one way street.

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2001 10:46 pm    

The Musicquest (Opcode now) "2 portSE", with two independent midi inputs & two independent midi outputs, or a similar "midi engine", would solve all those routing problems, and probably also significantly improve midi performance (such as tracking complex drum & percussion timings).
The 2port SE interfaces with the computer through a parallel port.
A good parallel port card is inexpensive and will add a second parallel port to your system.
An A/B switchbox will also work, to select the midi engine or a printer on one parallel port, but the midi engine must be selected when booting up...in order to allow the midi drivers to load. The $10 or so extra parallel port card is a more convenient approach
I used the 2portSE with a Kawai GMega synth unit and also put the bass and drums through a Yamaha RY-10 percussion (drum) machine using Windows MidiMapper.
The resulting sound was quite stunning when the audio outputs of the Kawai & Yamaha units were input to an old Yamaha powered 12 channel mixer & a pair of good PA speakers.
The musicquest/opcode midi engines are probably very cheap used.

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2001 12:39 am    

Just a thought.......

While I am NOT any kind of a expert on this midi stuff, It is my thoughts that a stomp-box (Boss DR-5, DTR-3, DTR-5,Roland RV-5 ???) are analog devices and will not pass MIDI commands, so a patch-thru isn't possible.

Again, I ain't no expert on this so if anyone wishes to correct me here, I won't feel flamed.....

An exception to this is the Profex II, which does have a MIDI thru jack,to talk to the foot controller. As I don't use this feature much,I cannot attest to how or if it would work with other MIDI equipment. I understand tho, that the MIDI standard is suppose to be universal and work in most applications. If you have a MIDI in/out/thru jack on your device, it should work as expected.

[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 06 January 2001 at 12:49 AM.]

Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2001 6:33 am    

Please overlook me, if what I'm saying sounds stupid to you, because I don't know very much about this stuff, but I had to buy a Yamaha US256 user midi interface to use, because I am using more than one instrument. I am using Korg keyboard, an alesis SR16, a Roland JV1010 sound module, and my Roland 1680. Also the Roland has to be set as either the slave or the master, depending on which you want to control. This is found in the (system)-(sync) or F5 button. I am using the Cakewalk program, so none of this may apply to what you are wanting to do. The Yamaha UX256 has six midi in and out ports.

John Paul Jones

San Diego
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2001 8:41 am    

Bobby Lee & Earnest.
Did i forget to say "set of Midi cables?

Rich.
Thanks for the suggestion about a midi engine. I may have to try it.

Bill.
The Boss DR-5 is a sound module with a 4-track sequencer. I appreciate your reply.

Fred.
You and I both are using Cakewalk and a Roland VS-1680 (The VS-1880 is essentially the same). Is your Yamaha UX256 midi interface plugged into your game port? I am sure that I set the VS-1880 correctly, step by step by the book. I'll look into the interface idea. Btw, when you got your VS-1680 did you get the "Logic" program with it? if so, did it detect your recorder OK? Did you have any problems getting them to work together?

Thanks, everyone.

John Paul Jones

Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2001 1:41 pm    

Yes it is plugged into the USB port. I don't believe you will get yours to work without a midi-interface. Mine cost about $250 dollars, but it works quite well. I did get the logic with it, and I did have some problems getting everything to working properly. I am very fortunate in having a neighbor living behind me who is very proficient in these problems. He would help you if you want to E-mail him. His address is Knierman@oaktree.net. His name is Mike Knierman. One problem I do have is that sometimes when I make a change either in my cakewalk or Roland, I'm still not too sure which it is, I have to close out cakewalk and reopen it to get it to sync. We haven't figured this one out yet, I just keep doing it this way. Also you may have to have patches so that cakewalk will know what keyboard strikes will trigger what sound. You can probably get what patches you may need on the internet at (lilchips.com). Wish I could help you more, but like I said, I'm new at this stuff and still learning everyday. Also, I don't know about the DR5, but with my Alesis SR16, it tells in the intstruction how to set up the midi to be slave or driver in the Alsesis set up and which clock to use.

[This message was edited by Fred Murphy on 06 January 2001 at 01:44 PM.]

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2001 10:27 am    

your MIDI cable adaptor for the gameport-

have you tried a different physical part for this critical connection? if that adaptor pigtail thingy is bad on the "in" cable it could be the only problem.

it just sounds like it's something simple that a part swap might resolve.

What kind of soundcard is that gameport on?

John Paul Jones

San Diego
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2001 7:50 pm    

Hi, Dave,

What you said makes sense. But, I don't have another one to swap it out with, so tomorrow, Tuesday, the computer and the VS-1880 recorder to the dealer where I bought the recorder and let their tech figure it out. He is good with this kind of thing. I just wanted to avoid loading up all this stuff and taking to the store, which is 35 miles from me.

A few months back, August or September, the act I'm with was booked into Jackson, Miss. I found out that your group was appearing in Jackson that weekend but our schedule didn't allow us to come visit. We were disappointed. Someday soon, maybe.

Thanks for the reply.

John Paul Jones

John Paul Jones

San Diego
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2001 2:42 pm    

Midi problem fixed!!

Dave.
You were right. it was the Midi connection.

Jack.
You can remove this thread.

John Paul Jones