The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Band in a Box. Need advice & ideas
Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 17 Dec 2000 4:35 am    

I'm still doing things the old fashioned way. I have been hearing about BIAB software. Could ya'll give me some advice on how user friendly it is. What kind of equipment will I need to take it in the field, like for a duo or single gig. Will I need a laptop or dedicated unit like a sequencer/sound module set up? thanks.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2000 6:06 pm    

I don't believe BIAB would be suitable for use on a live job. The time to change from one program to another, even tho it's just mouse clicks, would detract from the flow of the gig. The output is dependant on a sound card or sound module, therefore can vary a lot depending on what you use.

The strength of BIAB is its pre-programmed styles, and there are a lot. You can choose between all kinds of country stuff, ethnic styles, R&B, even classical. Some are very direct, like Johnny Cash rythums, Yokem, Merle, the Judds, Dejango. Styles are generally 4 pc bands, and you can vary the instruments being played. I quit counting styes after over one hundred.

The startup screen brings up a blank song of 250 measures and you just fill it in with whatever chords you like, including repeats, and tell it when to stop.

In my opinion, were I to use it with a gig in mind, I would chart the tunes and then transfer the finished work to a tape or a cd to play along with. As an addition, BIAB allows a midi output to a program like cakewalk where you can mix midi and live tracks and end up with a monster backup track. It may be a lot of work, but the results can be amazing as you might guess. While I'm not an expert with BIAB, feel free to email me with any questions.
Ken

P.S. There is another forumite who has hundreds of songs charted in BIAB. Doug, are you snowed in back there in Jamestown, NY? I'm sure Bill would like you to weigh in on BIAB.

[This message was edited by Ken Lang on 17 December 2000 at 06:30 PM.]

Dan Dowd

Paducah, KY, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2000 6:34 am    

After you make your song i BIAB you make a midi file. Save them on a floppy or your hard drive. They are easier to call up and you only have the songs you want ready to play. I have seen lots of bands use midi. I even saw Ricky Scaggs on the Opery one time with a computer (lap top) on the Piano.If you sync the live band to midi you can even add parts to the band without having the live players playing them. You can even control spot lights and other effects.