The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Do we Have Any Palm Pilots Out There ? (No Wisecracks!)...
Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2000 5:34 pm    

So, I've been kicking around taking this new job that would require a fair amount of travel. Any of y'all use the Palm Pilot or a similar organizer and have any recommendations?

The Palm Pilot(TM) seems to have the most widely used operating system and a good amount of software developed for it. Data can be down/uploaded to a PC, presumably if you have the right 'synchronization software'.

Any big need to go with one that has wireless e-mail/internet capabilities?

Thank'uns, in advance for any sage advice.

Steve

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2000 7:03 pm    

You'd better get one with wireless Internet access and email so you don't miss anything on the forum!

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2000 8:10 pm    

I got a IIIe -the least expensive just before the m100 came out...about 6 months ago. It ain't got the wireless, but it syncs to PC with software to do so included in the package. It can sync with Outlook email (-best for reading;you wouldn't want to write a long reply on the Palm anyway...but you can.)

I like it...

"note to myself...get that new Hal Rugg CD..."

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2000 8:21 pm    

Steve,

I have an HP Jornada. It has a keyboard, a color screen, a built-in modem and a docking station. It runs Windows CE. In its leather case, it's about as big as the average Daytimer notebook.

I don't use it much. I've been thinking of selling it. If you're interested, send me an email and we'll deal.

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2000 11:45 am    

If I am reading you correctly, -b0b-, yours is the model 720. Looks like a nice deal, but just a little too big for what I was looking for. Thanks anyway.

James Bissaillon

Omaha, NE, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2000 5:13 pm    

Hey Steve,

I've been using the Palm V for about a year now, and I love it. Much smaller and lighter than the dayrunner I used to NEED. (My memory can't keep up with my commitments!) Would I like a wireless modem model? Well, sure, but I can't justify the price. When I travel for work, there is always a computer available for me to check/send mail. If there wasn't, I'd probably go with the modem model. I've had absolutely no problems with mine.

James

Allen

Littleton, CO USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2000 3:16 pm    

I have been using the IIIxe for about 6 months. The script language for writing takes a little gettin used to, but is pretty straight forward, just slow. Having the 8 megs of memory is great.
Prior to getting the Palm, I used an HP200LX. A very nice machine with qwert keyboard, just a little small but good for two finger typing. I used it in my business for many years. Lots of note taking, finance stuff, etc. The Palm can't do everything the HP would, but I find I can get along without most of it. The Palm is also smaller and lighter. Go for it!

------------------
Allen Harry
Littleton, Colorado