The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  BIAB midi files
Ken Williams

Arkansas
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2000 1:41 pm    

I noticed that the volume when playing BIAB midi file songs from the Power Tracks is less than from the BIAB screen. When I record them to cassette, I notice there is only one side getting a signal. Midi files from the internet play both left and right sides when played from Power Tracks. As far As I can tell, every other application plays in stereo. It just seems to be the midi files from BIAB that do not play correctly.
Does anyone know what's out of whack here, besides me?

Ken

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2000 9:07 am    

I don't use PowerTracks, but I'll give you a few things to try.

Re: the panning (left/right) issue
* When you record one of those midi files from the internet to cassette do you get two sides?
(If so you don't have a problem with the output from your soundcard or the input on your cassette recorder; If not your problem may be one of those)
* Every midi file has a volume and pan position on EACH MIDI TRACK. Go into PowerTracks and figure out how to access the controller information. The middle position of the panpot should be 64 -- hard left is 0 -- hard right is 127. Max volume is 127.

Re the volume issue:
If you are playing back midi files that have the volume maxed out (127 on all channels) then the file will play as loudly as possible with each track the same volume, midi-wise (LOUD). Once you load the file into PowerTracks, check the volume for each track -- that may be the difference. I use BIAB but not PT so I can't help with the details. If you get proper playback from BIAB, why don't you just record from there to cassette?

Hope this helps solve your problem.

LTB

Ken Williams

Arkansas
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2000 12:40 am    

Thanks Larry for the info but my problem was in my wiring setup. I thought I had checked all that out completely but when I rechecked I discovered where the problem was. I feel like the guy that worked on his car all afternoon only to find out that it was just out of gas.
Jack, you can close this one.

Ken

[This message was edited by Ken Williams on 24 November 2000 at 12:41 AM.]