The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Run time" problem
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2000 8:21 pm    

Every now and then I get a "Run time expired" warning that comes up when I may enter a site that I guess has alot of Java on it or whatever. I get that message and then "do you want to de-bug? and I tried the debug and took what seemed forever and don't even know if it was doing anything.
I checked my preferences on IE5 and tryied enabling Java script and didn't seem to help.
Can someone help or what do I need more or less of?
Thanks.
Ricky

------------------
Ricky Davis
http://hometown.aol.com/sshawaiian/RickyHomepage.html
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html
sshawaiian@aol.com

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2000 2:27 am    

That could be something to with the particular site(s) you get that on. Or it could be you need to update I.E. to the latest version. Microsoft has a SP-1 (service pack) update available for downloading from windows update that includes all the updates for I.E. 5.01 (but it will take a while to download).

If you've never done any updates to windows, it's a good idea to access the windows update site and see what it suggests for your software, especially the "critical" updates.

You can access the site by clicking on Tools and then Windows Update in I.E. 5

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2000 5:37 am    

Before you jump on that IE 5.01 service pack, read this from ActiveWin.COM....
quote:
After issuing a warning Friday that Internet Explorer (IE) 5.01 Service Pack 1 (SP1) wasn't properly tested by Microsoft, I quickly received word from numerous readers that this release breaks the Help system in Office 2000. "Help requires Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.0 or greater," the warning reads. "You can install the latest version of IE from www.Microsoft.com." (Yes, they use that capitalization). And while this problem doesn't come as any surprise necessarily, it's still disheartening to realize that this company isn't doing what it needs to do to ensure that bug fixes don't
introduce bugs of their own. Therefore, it is with some reluctance that I must advise users not to download and install IE 5.01 SP1, despite the fact that this is the only way--at least for now--for Windows 2000 users to upgrade Outlook Express and other non-browser components of IE. The more heavily tested IE 5.5, which will be released next week, should contain all of the fixes from IE 5.01 SP1, but Windows 2000 users will only be able to upgrade the Web browser with that release. None of the other IE components are upgraded in IE 5.5, if you're using Windows 2000. Why? I have no idea.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2000 6:18 am    

Jim, I wonder if the "bugs" mentioned are particular to WIN 2K and or Office 2K?

I've checked several other sites, including ZDNet and they are not issuing any alerts or problems with the SP-1 update.

I didn't update to the SP-1 as I have most of the fixes anyway, but for someone that has not updated for quite a while and they are not using WIN2K and/or Office 2K, it may be OK.

There are some that issue "bug" alerts every time Microsoft puts out something, which makes me wonder if they are just anti-Microsoft. There was an alert put out back in the Y2K frenzy that WIN98 had a Y2K problem that turned out to be something could happen in 2020 or some year like that - which was totally ridiculous as there probably will not be anyone using WIN98 by then. With the vast amount and differences in PC's and their hardware just about any program (from any vendor) that is released can have "bugs".

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2000 6:56 am    

I believe the quote is saying that Internet Explorer (IE) 5.01 Service Pack 1 (SP1) breaks the Help system in Office 2000, regardless of the OS.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2000 10:55 am    

Microsoft just posted the new I.E. 5.5 on their Windows Update site. Since the new version is there, I'd go for the new version rather than the service pack for the old version. Both are big file downloads so it will take a while either way.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2000 2:11 pm    

Microsofts HTML Help system has been a real pain for developers for years now. It seems that each version has compatibility problems with the previous one. Now they are getting bit by it themselves in Office 2000. Serves them right!

You know, the original WinHelp from Windows 3.1 worked fine. It was updated for Windows '95 and that works fine, too. Why did they replace it? I dunno...

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2000 3:10 pm    

Thanks everybody; I will update to 5.5 and I did update earlier on my already exixting IE and haven't had a prob. since; but the newest proven version should do it.
Ricky