The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Real Player 7 Basic???
Chris Dufrane

Constable, NY, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2000 6:34 pm    

I just got a new computer and it didn't come with Real Player so I downloaded the Real Player 7 Basic. I had G2 on the other computer. When ever I play anything off the internet it will play for a while and then cuts out, says "Net Congestion" and takes about 30 seconds to re-buffer. My G2 never did this and I can't find G2 to re-download. This Basic 7 cuts out even when I play a 5-10 second sound clip. I would like to know if there is a way to fix this. Could any one help me? Thank you in advance...

[This message was edited by Chris Dufrane on 10 July 2000 at 07:37 PM.]

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2000 7:31 pm    

Chris, I had some of those same problems with Real Player 7 basic. Try and contact them and see what they can do. I never had trouble playing my wavs or Mp3 until I got Real Player and Netzip. I was better off with the standard that came with my computer..Of course, I am definitely Not computer oriented...good luck ...al

Everett Cox

Marengo, OH, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2000 8:15 am    

Chris-- Are you sure you are using the correct baud rate for your connection??? Some stuff is sent at a higher rate/speed than a slow connection like 28.8 can handle and will give that 'net congestion' every few seconds.

Anyway, RealPlayer v8 seemed to be a big improvement for me over all previous versions including G2 and what you've got.

Try the following url:
http://scopes.real.com/real/player/player.html?src=000629realhome,000707rp_choice_h1&dc=712711710

Or go to www.real.com and follow links. -Ev

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2000 10:44 am    

This gets back to what your actual communications rate is at any one moment and also what the WWW traffic and congestion is.

There are a lot of variables that can affect RealPlayer or any streaming audio signal, or just your normal web page accessing or downloading.

The speed your modem connects at is not the speed the connection between your modem and your ISP's modem will always run at. The modems are constantly "handshaking" and adjusting the thru-put data rate for any point in time. Then you have any potential delays in your ISP, and then the WWW and then finally any delays that the originating station could have.

Add all of those possibilites for delays (congestion, slowdowns, dropouts, etc) together and the fact that the WWW works as well as it does is a feat.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2000 3:57 pm    

Real Player is evil, IMHO.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2000 8:17 pm    

Hey b0b can you suggest another player you like that will play mp3s and all other audio and or video? If there is one that you prefer and where can we get it and how much or is there a free version and how do we make it the default so it will play what ever comes in. Thanks pal.
Ricky

------------------
Ricky Davis
http://hometown.aol.com/sshawaiian/RickyHomepage.html
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html
sshawaiian@aol.com

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2000 2:21 am    

WinAmp is the most popular "free" MP3 player. The Windows Media Player will handle most of the formats (there's competition between Microsoft and RealPlayer in that area).

I have them both, but I don't like RealPlayer as it tries to "take over" my PC. After a download (to update it) I have to go through my PC and disable or remove a lot of the crap it automatically installs (such as making itself the default viewer or player for a lot of formats that I don't want it to be the default for, and installing an autostart in the startup file)

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2000 12:24 pm    

FYI:
Winamp WILL also handle Real Audio and Windows Media files.
New version available for free download (ver. 2.64) at:

http://www.winamp.com

------------------
Rebelâ„¢
ICQ 614585
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html