The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Contrary D drive ....
Ingo Mamczak

Luimneach , Eire.
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2000 5:12 pm    

I have a second h.d. drive on my p.c. which is D: My problem is suddenly I can't save files onto this drive anymore . The files already on the D drive still work as normal .
Trying to copy and paste a file from C: to D: gets an error message which reads " directory or file cannot be created " .
If I'm on the 'net and just choose to " save file " to the D: the error message reads " There is not enough disk space on drive D: Delete one or more files on this disk or use a different disk " . The D: is 1.7 gigs and over 1 gig is free space .
Booting through DOS as opposed to loading DOS through windows and saving files to the D: still works this way without a problem .
This only happened last night , and only after I had already downloaded a lot of html files without a problem . I have also scanned the whole system for a virus and it's clean . Would someone be able to help me please ?
Thanks in advance ,
Ingo .

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2000 5:33 pm    

Hi Ingo. I don't know much--just my own experiences. After I installed a second hard drive, D, which had been the designation of the CDROM before, I think, which is now F, I was running an old program that didn't recognize the new drive. It still called the CDROM "D". I un and re installed the program and all was ok.
So, when you click "my computer", do all the drives read right?
Just a line of thought--

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2000 2:12 am    

Since it still works in DOS it's apparently a windows configuration problem. Go into system properties and check the Hard drives to make sure everything is OK and no conflicts are present. It also looks like windows thinks the drive is a "read only" device but I'm not sure how that's done either.

While you are in windows, run scandisk on that drive and see what happens.

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2000 10:45 am    

Or go into your Bios setup (usually by pressing alt-F1, or some configuration as indicated during boot-up) and seeing how your drive letters are configured. It sounds like you might have some conflict either with the Bios settings, or your jumpers on the new hard drive that you installed. Good luck.

Steve

Ingo Mamczak

Luimneach , Eire.
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2000 4:48 pm    

Hello Jon , Jack and Steve and I appreciate very much all of your replies . Thank you .
I've tried all the suggestions , everything on the system is correct but the problem still persists . I'm going to try re-installing windows over the next few days .
Thanks very much again ,
Ingo .

Everett Cox

Marengo, OH, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2000 7:33 pm    

Ingo-- 2 things come to mind:
1. Is your anti-virus up to date? An older version/pattern file might not have detected one of the newer 'bugs'.

2. Is it possible you have filled the root directory table? You didn't say what version of Windows you're using. I believe the old limit was 512 ROOT DIRECTORY entries - that means a maximum of 512 first-level folders. Long file names, however, result in more than one table entry being used for a single folder.
Using Windows Explorer, select the drive's icon. Then in the 'files'(right hand)pane, hold down the SHIFT key and select ALL the FOLDERS. What is the 'number of items' shown at the lower left-hand corner of the Explorer window? It would be unusual for that number to be in the hundreds but, if it is, consider how many long names you have and how long they are.
If you think this might be the problem, move several folders to another drive and then attempt to create a new folder on drive D:. Be careful what you move, though, in case you can't put them back on that drive.
Invalid folder names can also create problems. Run ScanDisk and do a 'standard' check.

Neither of the 2 thoughts is likely but are worth considering --Everett

Jude James Shiels

near Dublin, Ireland
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2000 8:24 pm    

Ingo,

possibly a system conflict occured in which your D drive has been changed to FAT 16, but that is unlikely, but it has happened to me. Check your systems in Control Panel and the performance tab, that sometimes tells you if any drive malfunctions are occuring. Also look to see if an extra partition has been created, these things can happen and if it is not formatted it won't save or read data, right click the drive symbol in my computer to make sure. Hope something helps.

Ingo Mamczak

Luimneach , Eire.
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2000 5:27 pm    

Hello Everett and Jude , thank you both for your replies .
Everett , I followed your advice and you were correct #2 was indeed my problem , too many files with long file names . I owe you one
Thanks again to all of you for your replies .
Ingo .