The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  External CD-RW / USB Recommendations?
Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2000 7:25 pm    

Looking to buy an external CD-RW with a USB interface. There are just a few on the market: Lacie, HP, Sony, Mitsumi, Zip, and a couple more. There's not much I can dig up in the way of reviews. Anyone have any thoughts?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 May 2000 2:57 am    

I was on a site recently that has some CD software and they mentioned some CD burners (not specifically USB models) that seemed to do a better job with audio and some that weren't so good. I don't remember all the brands, but out of the ones you mentioned the HP was one that was in the "good" group.

John Gretzinger

Canoga Park, CA
Post  Posted 25 May 2000 7:31 am    

HP is always a safe bet. They produce excellent products and have good support. The Sony is also a good selection. Those would be my top two of the ones you mentioned.

Just remember the differences between CD-RW and CD-R disks when recording audio.

John

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2000 12:07 pm    

Thanks guys. This application is for data BU, not music recording, oddly enough. I want to get the USB version because it can travel, but it's slower than others. From what I found out thus far, I'd stay away from Sony, which is unusual because they are typically very good. I'll probably go with the HP but the Zip and the Lacie would be pretty good also.

I also actually have an HP at the office, and yup - works just fine. I can't say I've had the greatest luck with HP customer support, though.

Thanks.

Chris DeBarge

Boston, Mass
Post  Posted 25 May 2000 12:51 pm    

That is suprizing about the Sony, most likely they make their own rather than package someone else's, and their stuff is usually quite good. I have an HP and it can be temperamental. Burning Audio CD's takes a lot of horsepower and can really put your system to the test!

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2000 1:55 pm    

Well, I bought a Zip, external USB CD writer. Works as good as expected, but the long term will tell the tale. Standard Adaptec software. The thing works well, but I ended up buying a BAD box of CD-R disks. Couldn't believe it! Took me ~24 hours to exhaust every other possibility, but it turned out that every damn disk in that box was defective. I am amazed. BTW - I'd stay away from Memorex brand, FWIW.
Steve

One other thing - this drive has 2 phono plug jacks (1/Cool in the back. I'm not a big computer audio guy, so I don't know the advantage, but this is the first drive that I've ever seen with audio jacks.

[This message was edited by Steve Feldman on 27 May 2000 at 02:57 PM.]