The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MS Word 97
Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 23 May 2000 12:48 pm    

Something that's driving me nuts. I type a document, then save it to 31/2 floppy. When I re-open the disk through 'My Computer', everything is as it should be. When I open the disk through the Word program, the format and font style is lost, and the text is followed by a page of properties or something like this:
Normal
Normal
Default Paragraph Font
Default Paragraph Font
Envelope Address
Envelope Address
Envelope Return
Envelope Return
Valued Gateway Client)A:\This is a test of the save feature.docÿ䀀老"
Times New Roman
Times New Roman
Symbol
Symbol
etc....

My gut feeling is that some property got changed in some dialog box, but I'm at a loss to figure it out. Has Anyone seen this before?

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 23 May 2000 12:55 pm    

Tommy,

When you open the file through Word, make sure the file type is a Word Document (.doc)
You find that option near the bottom of the open dialog box.
Probably you have selected: repair MS-DOS text (I''m tranlating this from Dutch so it could be a little different in English)

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 23 May 2000 2:36 pm    

I had an MS Orifice "bug", where docs created or edited with the old flaky "Word 95" app would only display as ASCII charachters on Word '97.

Then, recently, after upgrading to Whindose 98 SE, I had to uninstall "Word Pad", in order to get "Word '97" to work, as they seemed to be "talking to each other" when one was launched.

I wish that when MS had copied WordPerfect for Windows, they had also bothered to copy all the stuff in WPW that makes it run problem-free!

In typical MS carnivoire fashion, I can open a WP doc (.wpd) in Word, but it trashes all the page format characteristics, if I want to save it as a WordPerfect file, and is quite pesky about even allowing me to do that at all. Progress in the "New Millennium"?

Ha Ha, Right! Go figure.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 May 2000 3:06 pm    

First of all, why are you saving directly to floppy???

However, you say you open the file through "my computer". How are you doing this????? Do you mean you open the file through "MY Documents"??? Assuming you open it through My Documents and then access the floppy drive and then open the file from there, what program actually opens the file?? Does MSWord97 actually come up or does WordPad or NotePad come up or MSWorks??? The fact that you open the file with MSWord97 and it has the control character data in there would suggest the file is not a MSWord97 file format but some other wordprocessor format.

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 23 May 2000 6:22 pm    

Well, as you can tell, Im not real experienced with this computer stuff. My kids do alot of projects for school that they like to save to disk so they can be portable. They each have their own disks, and I think the idea is not to clutter up the hard drive with all their projects. Is there a better way they should be doing this? I never questioned it until Jack did.

I've been using the 'My Computer' icon on the desktop to open the disks, but the result is the same going through 'Documents'. The only time I have a problem is when I open the documents through MSWord97, the same program they were created on. I have verified that they are (.doc) documents by going to 'properties'. Also the program opening it says it is MSWord. I realize that this isn't earth shattering, as long as we access the disks a different way, but it wasn't always like this, and I can't figure out why it's changed. Thanks again for all your help....