The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Microsoft intellimouse optical
Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 21 May 2000 5:43 pm    

Just bought one of these today. I got tired of the regular mouse with its stop and start quirks and ball problems. No matter how much cleaning it would stop at a point and I could move it 4" without moving the curser.

The new one is great. No problems. Works optically, no mouse ball. Has a small wheel on top for scrolling and buttons on the side for back and forward. Price around $60. $40 if you have a Costco/price club nearby.

I realize this is not earth shattering news is the world of computers, but what a joy to use.
Ken

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2000 11:05 pm    

I would never spend $40 for a mouse. Instead I have bought a dozen $10 mouses, and none of them works right. Reminds me of the way I buy amps.

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 22 May 2000 11:43 pm    

Hi, Ken! I picked up a Logitec cordless mouse at the Best Buys in Canoga Park two years ago, and it was great...until a friend's kid picked it up and pushed on the ball, breaking the spring that holds it in place against the encoder wheels. It was about the same price as you paid.
Now I use basic Microsoft mice, PS/2 style, (about $14 at Orifice Depot)...because they are rugged, cheap, and easy/convienient to replace. I also use a lot of hot keys so the rodent has it fairly easy. The MS mouse also rarely needs cleaning, and I live on a dirt road at the fringe of the boondocks, where the other mice I've had got gummed up with dust & crud.
When I spilled a soft drink into my trusty old keyboard last month, I suddenly could type at 300 WPM, but only in jibberish...hit a key and it would just take off on its own trip!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 23 May 2000 3:52 am    

anybody know about a cordless mouse you can use from across the room (e.g., maybe infra-red or something)?

Everett Cox

Marengo, OH, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 May 2000 1:25 pm    

Jim Cohen-- Yes. I've got a Logitech cordless mouse and keboard. Radio, not IR. Works great. Small reciever, with a split connector, plugs in the normal 'puter ports.
--Everett

PS--when's that new CD with the 'bossa' going to be available???