The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Parts, Parts, Parts...
Mark Herrick

Bakersfield, CA
Post  Posted 13 May 2000 10:04 am    

You know those little hex nuts (barrel screws?) that are on either side of the SCSI connectors on the back of an external drive case? Well, I need to find a few of these.

They are specifically on Ultra 2 Wide SCSI drives with 68 pin high density connectors. (Macintosh system.)

I found some locally at a PC store, but they turned out to be the wrong ones. They would screw into the connector mount but the hole for the cable thumb screw was too large. I need the ones that have the smaller size thumb screw hole.

Any suggestions on where I might be able to find some of these?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 May 2000 11:05 am    

The only thing to do is start hitting the local computer shops till you find the size you are looking for. Usually all the connector hardware is fairly standard. I have found, however, that sometimes a connector's tighening screws will not screw on to the other side's posts because one side of the connector is not exactly the same size and the two do not mate correctly.

I used to have a problem with some types of RS232C connectors that way, and a lot of problem with certain manufacturers V.35 connectors.

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 22 May 2000 5:42 pm    

Mark, it seems like quite a few plug-in cards and motherboards come with extra "blank" slot closing pieces (where no card is installed in the case), with extra connectors you may not use.
I remove those connectors and save them and the connector hardware you mentioned. Then I install small pieces of perforated aluminum
sheet metal in the openings for cooling enhancement, installed in the rear of the case in place of the solid blanks.
I'll occaisionally buy an IBM-made 286 case, complete with power supply, and usually a ten-pound, 20 Mbyte HDD (HaHa!), at a local surplus liquidator shop, and strip out a fortunes' worth of screws and hardware, for maybe five bucks max apiece.
They are also great cases for building a system from scratch, if you have the room for its "footprint". Those things were really "built" nicely.