The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cassette to Cd Burner???
Andy Schick

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 May 2000 8:07 pm    

Help!!!
How or can I Burn from a Cassette deck into my very common and basic computer.Then burn it on cd? Can this be done with the exsisting inputs and outputs?
Thanks
Andy

------------------

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2000 9:40 pm    

Yes, but it's not real easy. You run from the outputs of your cassette deck into the "line in" of your sound card. That's a stereo mini-jack so you'll need a Y adapter.

Then you play each song on the deck and record it to a WAV file on the computer. You can use Windows Sound Recorder to do this, but there are a lot of other better programs available. There's probably one that came with your sound card.

Finally, you assemble all of the WAV files and burn them to the CDR as an audio disk. You'll probably use Adaptec's Easy CD Creator for that. Most CDR drives come with it.

------------------
Bobby Lee quasar@b0b.com gigs
Sierra Session S-12 (E9), Speedy West D-10 (E9, D6),
Sierra S-8 Laptop (D13), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (D13, A6)

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 May 2000 2:18 am    

Easy CD Recorder Version 4 deluxe (or a name similar to that) has all the software necessary to do the trick. The Easy CD software that is supplied with most CDR/RW drives is a "lite" version and doesn't have all the necessary software to easily record external audio.

You can go directly from tape (or whatever input you want) to CD, however, the best way is like b0b said - "record" it to a file and then after you have what you want stored on files in the PC, create the CD. If you "burn" directly to a CD and something happens in the process there's no recovery (unless it's a rewriteable CD) and you'll have to trash the CD. The Easy CD creator V4 has a program that allows you to assemble the songs on the CD in whatever order you want.

Andy Schick

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 May 2000 6:32 am    

OK!!
I have the adapters and everything is plugged in and ready to go. My Burner does have adaptec. How do I save to a wav file to get the tune I want. Thanks again, very new to the computer world.
Andy

------------------

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 May 2000 8:15 am    

Andy, Since you do not have much computer experience, I suggest you purchase the Adaptec CD 4 Deluxe version of the software. It is very easy to use (user friendly) and will save you a lot of headaches trying to learn how to record.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2000 7:55 pm    

Start -> Programs -> Multimedia -> Sound Recorder

That's where you find the Windows Sound Recorder but, like I said before, it's not a very powerful program. It will get you familiar with the basic concepts of recording on a PC, though. You set up the recording parameters in Settings -> Control Panel -> Multimedia.

My sound card came with Creative Wave Studio which does a pretty good job. Look through your Start menu - you might have something there pre-installed that will do the trick better than the Windows Sound Recorder.

------------------
Bobby Lee quasar@b0b.com gigs
Sierra Session S-12 (E9), Speedy West D-10 (E9, D6),
Sierra S-8 Laptop (D13), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (D13, A6)

Ron Turner

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2000 8:48 pm    

Sound Forge is a great wav recording and editing software to use. I use it to also convert my wav files into MP3 files.