Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2000 12:47 pm    

This one is just a beauty.
Got about 4 to 5 sheets of paper jammed into
my Hewlett-Packard Officejet all-in-one
P-Fax-S about 5 days ago.
Went thru the reload-restart process and when
I went to a 'test' print, the driver-drum that sends the paper into the unit was turning in REVERSE. I.E., sending the paper up and out, instead of down and in.
Went an uninstalled/reinstalled the printer
but this did nothing.
Called up HP support, and the tech tells me
that it is a mechanical problem and that the unit should be sent to THEIR service center(s). He even had ballpark repairs costs.
Like starting at $160 up to $200.
But HP will take this printer in 'trade' and give credit towards an upgrade.
Has this reversal ever happened to anyone else? Has anyone upgraded? The unit was bought in 9/98.
Does anyone know how to put this drive-drum
back in forward gear?
Whew......Chips Ahoy

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2000 2:55 pm    

Don't buy Hewlett Packard stuff.
At least I won't buy HP anymore. It just doesn't work well. Now I have to find another brand when this one dies completely and I don't what the good brands are.

Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2000 11:32 pm    

Hey Chip, did you see that thread in 'Off Topic' a few weeks ago about computers possessed by the devil? I'd call your local preacher with the troubles you seem to be having.
We have one here at the College where I work, which, when set up for Cubase, you play one note on the keyboard amd it plays a little riff of up to 14 or 15 notes.
Sometimes they are quite good riffs!
They say the Devil has the best tunes!

------------------
Cheers!

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 5:18 am    

Chip....

It seems like (according to your first post) that you have a mechinical problem with your printer. My guess is ( I am a electronics tech, retired) that when your printer jammed, it also slipped a gear somewher in the paper feed train. As I am not really factory trained with the HP series printers, I think that if you took the printer to a tech, he should be able to figure out what is happening onced the cover is removed from the printer. Yes,I know, some printers will NOT work with the covers/case removed. This can be bypassed with a few pieces of tape/magnets over sensors. Good luck on fixing this printer.

I will go on to say, I have "fixed" several printers that the local dealers have said was best replaced with one of their newer printers. I also think that sometimes maby, that the younger generation of techs, may not really be "TECHS" but only trained part changers, trained by the dealer/vendor folks. Unfortunatly, big business dosen't have time (Time is money) to really fix a product, only replace it (at a cost to the consumer).

I understand I may catch a bit of flake over this post, but I have repaired too many tv, radios,cars, even amps, (For you Steel players) that was supposed to be beyond reasonable repair. Thats why, sometimes I do a job for just the cost of parts, in order to help a person keep from being taken,or ripped off by a vendor in a situation where the repair is really a rather simple one that could be done with a little bit of thought before declareing the product "DEAD' or too expensive to fix.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 6:00 am    

Bill, you are correct. In the business world and the current repair world, time is money both for the customer and the repair shop. It's much faster to replace a module than to repair it (if the module can be repaired)and in many cases the replacement module is the least expensive way to go. I will also agree there are almost no "component level" techs around anymore and almost all are module or board changers.

It's no different in the TV repair world, prices for parts, even the "wholesale" price, make repairing some units down to the component level not cost effective. I have a friend that was in the TV repair business for many years. He retired and sold his shop as it had finally got to the point people would not have TV's repaired one he quoted them a (reasonable) price or once the set was fixed people would not pick them up because of the repair price (and he was lucky if he could sell a used set for what he had in it).

This isn't fixing Chip's printer but it's the harsh reality of getting something repaired.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 10:02 am    

Have you tried reversing the wires on the motor?

retnirp leehw ysiad MBI na was ecno I
srettel eht fo redro eht esrever
.detnirp ti enil yreve no

I've had pretty good luck with HP products. One laser printer I bought lasted 10 years. I'm conducting the Forum's business on an HP Pavilion, and it's hooked to an HP printer/copier. No problems there.

My palmtop is an HP Jornada, but I have a hard time getting proper support for it. I think the company has changed over the past two or three years, to the point where they're more interested in sales than service.

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 5:11 pm    

Thanks All....it is 9:00PM EST, and I'm getting in from this resturant/bar that has
been recently been "upgraded" to yuppie
status, but I had to stop and go in.
And right from the git-go I start complaining
about the lack-of-alcohol IN-MY-DRINK.

So I'm going to make this quick. I happened
to sit down next to a computer wizard and we got to jawboning, and he said that HP stuff is actually pretty good stuff; and that all I have to do....and listen now...all I have to do to correct the REVERSAL problem.....................is stick something in there and force that driver-drum to go the OPPOSITE way, and all will be well.
So.......I am not about to do this tonight,
but I will do it. What have I got to lose?

And thanks everyone, for all your comments
and advice.....so stick around.......

We will all learn from this......cause money
really doesn't matter much to me.....the pursuit of knowledge is where I come from.

STAY TUNED

Chips Ahoy

Paul Crawford

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2000 9:15 am    

!1ooC saw taht b0b 

[This message was edited by Paul C on 13 April 2000 at 10:16 AM.]