The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zip Drive/ Coaxial and Optical Inputs
Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2000 5:18 pm    

My Hard Drive box does not have a Zip Drive and my sound card does not have Digital Inputs.
I am looking for these features because I record with a Roland VS-840 and it uses the 100MB Zips. If my computer had a Zip Drive it would be great/great. The Digital Inputs would be a good alternative. Unfortumately I have none of this as stated.
I plan on upgrading soon. Does anyone have any reccomendations or comments on what I should go for?
Might it be better to upgrade my present sytem?
Roy T.

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2000 5:33 pm    

Hi Roy:
Go for an external Zip drive and if you want digital inputs on a sound card, go for the Sound Blaster Live Platinum card. Pricey in Canada but worth every penny. Has a unit that mounts in an open 5 1/4 drive bay in the FRONT of the computer that you plug into. It is the sound card I am and have been using for about 3 months now.

------------------
Rebelâ„¢
ICQ 614585

Cairo Zoots

Moville, Iowa ,next to the west fork of the Little Sioux River
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2000 11:41 pm    

AND-the newer version of the Platinum cards' "Live Drive", the unit that mounts in ur(if u have one) empty 5 1/4" bay-ALSO has the optical connections-(the older version, about $20-30 cheaper-which is still avail)- does not. If u have the older Soundblaster "Live" card, u CAN upgrade with either LIVE DRIVE, but the best deal is of course the new Platinum card with the LIVE Drive INCLUDED! U may also want to explore Turtle Beachs' offerings which seem to be ALSO a great deal for music production.

------------------
ree-oo-dee-doo
And, forgot to mention that Roland DOES sell a sound card that u may want to consider as well. There's a whole herd of recording Pros here at b0bs' place, and there have been a lotta posts on here concerning Sound Cards and recording, so may I suggest U do a search for posts concerning this. Some real good advice flows across these pages!!
Happy Hunting Cz

[This message was edited by Cairo Zoots on 03 April 2000 at 12:47 AM.]

RickRichtmyer

Beautiful Adamstown, MD
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2000 3:32 am    

Roy,

One thing worth mentioning: If you plan to use the ZIP drive to read your VS-840 files into the PC, I don't think it will work. Roland uses a proprietary format and PCs don't recognize it. I have a parallel ZIP drive on my PC and a SCSI one which I use with my Roland VS-880 and I have to reformat the disks when swapping them between the two machines. Obviously this means that I can't tranfer data via ZIP files. And even if you could read a VS formatted ZIP on a PC, I don't think the PC could do anything with the data.

------------------
Rick Richtmyer
users.erols.com/rickrichtmyer

Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2000 4:02 am    

Good point Rick and an important one.
The sound card with the digital inputs is what I will persue.
Thanks everyone.
Roy T.