The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Upgrading my computer.
John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2000 4:51 am    

For the sake of family peace, my faster computer is now downstairs for the whole family to use while my old P75 is upstairs dedicated to my home studio system. I'd like to upgrade the P75 to something a little faster, it'll be mainly dedicated to music stuff, BIAB, Powertracks Pro. Is it worth it for me to upgrade it to say, P200-300, bigger hard drive, more ram, or should I chuck it and buy a new-used one?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2000 5:26 am    

The P75 probably is not upgradeable very far, because of the motherboard. You will probably have to purchase a new motherboard and then the processor. The video board probably will require upgrading, etc. The case and power supply are really not worth much (and the old power supply probably needs replacing anyway).

I'd recommend buying an upgraded computer.

John Gretzinger

Canoga Park, CA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2000 5:34 pm    

I'll second Jack's remarks. The 75Mhz CPU runs on a motherboard the restricts the top end to around 166Mhz with an upgrade chip. You will pay close to $100 for the chip, then add a new video card, probably larger hard disk, etc.

There are companies that sell used equipment, and that might be a way to go if money is at a premium. There is always the custom build machine. Usually a little more expensive than going to Best Buy or similar and getting something off the shelf, but you will get one tailored to your needs.

Speaking of the mass retailers - as quickly as the technology is changing, you might be able to pick up one that is slightly out of date (say ONLY 500 Mhz) as a good price. The current crop is mostly 600Mhz and above.

------------------
MSA D-10
'63 Gibson Hummingbird
16/15c Hammered Dulcimer

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2000 7:23 pm    

By the way, my computer rig, less the programs was $1200. That includes 17" monitor, keyboard, cd/dvd and speakers. The stand alones I've seen are several hundred more for just the basic unit.
Ken

Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2000 9:13 am    

Computers are changing so fast that first off, when you buy someting, it is obeolete by the time you get it home, which means that if you upgrade one thing, odds are against you that you will have compatibility problems. I was faced with the same thing: upgrade my existing computer or buy a new one? Well, If we upgraded the CPU, we would have to get a new motherboard, and then we were going to get a new hard drive, and more ram, etc. It was decided that the best thing to do was just get a new board exactly like the old one (which had blown out) and then buy a new computer at a later date. If your monitor is a 15", then you should not have to buy a new one of those, just a box.

Best of luck,
Jonathan.

------------------
"We get up at twelve and start to work at one, take an hour's lunch and then at two were done."

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2000 8:36 pm    

I "upgraded" last September, re-using my 4GB
Hard Drive, case, power supply, floppy drive, Creative AWE-64 sound card, and 48x Teac CD-Rom drive. The breakdown was:

64 MB PC-100 Dimm memory assy. (1) $ 69
FIC VA-503+ Motherboard (1) $ 94
CPU Ball Bearing Fan (1) $ 8
AMD K6-2 3Dnow 350MHZ Processsor (1) $ 68
Intel 8MB AGP Video Card (1) $ 49
3Comm/US Robotics V90 Modem (1) $ 88

TOTAL = $376

This stuff is probably much less $$ now. It was a real screamer then, is still perfectly fine now. The old Hard Drive ate it later and was replaced with a WD Caviar 6 GB UDMA-33 unit ($130), which dramatically sped it all up. Quite dramatically.

Since Sept. 1999 I've only added one 32 MB
PC-100 Dimm, @ $49 at Costco.

All this was purchased locally at retail $.

My monitor is a 15" Phillips/Magnavox I got in late 1995 with a 75 Pentium system. I would not/will not replace it until it dies and cannot be repaired; it's an excellent monitor.

Just some info to put upgrading in perspective, dollar-wise; I'm totally satisfied with this machine.

For hardware pricing, vendors, etc:

http://www.pricewatch.com/catlistf.htm

Update: Today's average prices @ Pricewatch:
(Identical Components)

Motherboard $ 67
Processor $ 40
64MB PC100 Dimm (Micron) $ 28
Fan $ 2
Video Card $36
Modem $49
Total $ 222 plus shipping

6.4 GB HDD $79
32MB PC100 Dimm $16

Upgrading seems practical at those costs. "dOc"

[This message was edited by Rich Paton on 24 March 2000 at 08:53 PM.]

[This message was edited by Rich Paton on 25 March 2000 at 12:11 AM.]

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2000 10:20 am    

quote:
32MB PC100 Dimm $16

My 4 year old PC uses SIMMs, not DIMMs.
(There are 4 slots, max 32 MB each, it says here.)

I went to Fry's yesterday figuring to get four 32 MB SIMMS for $16 each or less, but the 32 MB SIMMs are $50 each.

Are SIMMs really that much more expensive? It's not worth it.

LARRY COLE

LANCASTER, OHIO, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2000 5:48 pm    

I recently upgraded my 133 to a 450 with 32 meg of ram at COMPUTER FACTORY in Columbus Ohio. The kit came with AMD k6-2 450 processor, mother board, integrated 3D video card, integrated sound card, 56k modem. Everything inside the case except the fan, hard drive, floppy drive, cd rom drive for $185. They are at WWW.COMPFACT.COM. You can upgrade to more ram or bigger processor. They have cases starting at about $23. The book that comes with it leads you through every step.

------------------
LC

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2000 2:50 pm    

Larry, thanks for the link. Someone is always asking about this, and that system sounds very good.
You could probably hot-rod that system even more by disabling the on-board video and using a decent 2 Mbte or better PCI video card if you have one lying around. The onboard video probably uses "system ram"; at least the ones I've worked on did.