The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Video clips
Kathryn Sabey

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2000 12:00 pm    

Why don't video clips run smoothly? Is it because I don't have a fast enough connection? It's like I'm looking at about every 20th "frame".

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2000 1:47 pm    

It could be a combination of the computer itself (the faster the CPU, the better your chances of pushing the video out), the video card (some video cards work better than others with streaming media), and/or the connection (streaming over a 56K modem vs. a T3 can make a HUGE difference).
We'd need more information to make an educated guess.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel:
www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Kathryn Sabey

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2000 3:14 pm    

It's a 500 with a 56K modem, but my connection is usually 28-30K.
The computer is brand new, less than 3 weeks old and built here in Farmington. What would you need to know about the video card?

Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2000 5:01 pm    

Streaming video is very hard on a computer because of a slow Internet connection. The tradeoff between quality and speed is huge, and there is no way to really get it right. Streaming audio is bad enough. There is no real way to fix it except get a DSL connection, and even that is no guarentee.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2000 4:01 am    

If you're only getting 28 to 30Kb connections there is a problem somewhere, depending on how far you are from the telephone company central office, etc.

You should be getting V.90 connections generally at least in the 42 - 46 Kbs range.

There are a lot of potential problem areas that will affect the connection speed, anywhere from the PC itself, to a bad connection or wiring inside your residence to one of your phones causing a problem on the phone line, to a bad connection at the Telco demarc connection (the connection box outside your house that connects the phone companies line to the inside house wiring), to a problem in the telephone companies wiring or equipment.

Even with the modem connection speed up to the range it should be, you will still see the video problems because of the line speed, congestion or speed of the web, etc.

Kathryn Sabey

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2000 6:39 am    

Thanks guys. I thought as much. I'm thinking it's the phone ines as much as anything. This house is 17 years old and in rural New Mexico.

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2000 9:09 am    

Kathrvn.....

Can you not "Save it to disk" and then play it later?? I used that medoth (sp) for a long time untill I upgraged to a faster machine.