The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sound Wav Boomerang
Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2000 8:40 am    

Last year I sent a sound wav to a friend and he said his email went crazy. The wav kept
trying to load and coming at him. It was a few days after before it stopped.
WE still exchange email but have an agreement that I send no more wavs.
I think his sound card has a time allotment for receiving wavs but I really don't know.
Anyone care to offer an explanation or remedy.
Roy T.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2000 11:16 am    

If I send a sound wav to someone I add it as an attachment, that way they can play it or not at their leisure. If you add the wav to the e-mail message and don't give them an option it would seem to be infringing on the e-mail receiver.

I know if I get a message and it has music embedded in the message I automatically delete the message and never read it.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just my opinion.

Roy Thomson

Post  Posted 16 Mar 2000 12:09 pm    

Jack,I always send wavs as an email attachment which I presume allows for the option you refer to. That's the only way I know how to do it anyway.
How do you add a wav to an email and not allow for an option? Not that I would do that but I am just curious.
I sent one to you not long ago. Hope I did not infringe on you as the receiver. If I did it was certainly unintentional.
However, I don't think what we are discussing addresses my original question which is still open. I think.
Roy

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2000 12:59 pm    

Roy, I'm not sure how to embed a file within an e-mail, but I've got some that were. Sorry about that, that is what I originally thought you meant.

No you didn't infringe on me when you sent the attachement. That's the right way to do it. However if it's a long file, you may want to check with the receiver before sending it.

If it "locked up" your friend's E-mail, it probably was just a long file that took a while to receive, either due to a slow modem or a phone line problem that slowed down the transmission or his ISP's E-Mail server was slow and it took a long time to receive. If the receiver was accessing web pages at the same time the file was coming in, it could really slow everything way down. If you send a long file, e.g. 1MB or over it can take 15 or 20 minutes or more to receive the file. Some ISP's only allow messages of a certain maximum size too.

Roy Thomson

Post  Posted 16 Mar 2000 1:06 pm    

Thank you Jack. I feel a lot better now.

Roy

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2000 5:12 pm    

Most of the time when you send me a WAV file, it takes a long time to receive my mail. I don't mind, though, because the things you send are always worth waiting for.

------------------
Sierra Session S-12 (E9), Speedy West D-10 (E9, D6),
Sierra S-8 Laptop (D13), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (D13, A6)

Roy Thomson

Post  Posted 17 Mar 2000 5:56 pm    

Thanks for the plug b0b. Such kind words help a lot especially when you're shoveling out of a foot of snow. I'm serious! Storm hit to-day big time.
I am now compressing my wavs with WinZip software. A few of my friends cannot open them however.
Are there any other free downloads that might be recommended for them to overcome this inability?
You are a few wavs behind bob.Check your email.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2000 6:13 pm    

Roy, after you Zip the file, convert it to a self extracting (exe) file. The file is still zipped but the receiver doesn't have to have an unzipping program to decompress it. However, I can't imagine anyone not having a program to process zip files since it is almost universally used for downloaded files.

Roy Thomson

Post  Posted 17 Mar 2000 6:49 pm    

Thanks for the tip Jack. I will try that.

Like you I thought unzipping a file was automatic but some of the guys must have some older computers when the software was not standard??