The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lockup on JPG attachments
Joe Delaronde

Selkirk, Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2000 2:53 pm    

Whenever I click on an email with anattachment (paperclip), the window will open but the computet locks up and the cursor changes to a capital "I". It only does this when there are JPG files attached. I have to reboot each time.????????
Joe

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2000 3:36 pm    

Don't click on those jpg attachments.

Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2000 5:29 pm    

Chances are, when you load up the jpegs, it clogs up all of your memory, so just don't open them up and you'll be fine.

------------------
"We get up at twelve and start to work at one, take an hour's lunch and then at two were done."

Joe Delaronde

Post  Posted 13 Mar 2000 8:51 pm    

I can't get to open them. As soon as I click on the "paperclip" line, the computer hangs.
It drops the Attachment window, so I can see that it is a JPG file, but the computer is already hungup!!!
"Don't open JPG files"
How do I know what kind of file it is if I don't click on the attachment "paperclip"??????????? Joe

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2000 1:34 am    

Joe, I was trying to make a very bad joke when I told you not to open them. Do you know what program is associated with .jpg files? In other words, when you double click a jpg, what program (if any) runs to let you view it? You can change this.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2000 3:30 am    

How much memory do you have?? It could be a "low resource" problem. If you are running WIN98 with less than 64MB of memory things can get very slow and the number of windows you have open at one time will be limited. Many times with low memory the system just hangs up and "dies".

The other problem could be with the graphic program you are using to view jpg files. You could try reloading the graphic program to see it that helps.

Also, when you are off-line try opening the jpg file and see if it works. Save the jpg attachment to a location on hard drive (I have a directory C:/Temp that I use for things like this) and then access it off line. If it works OK off line then it probably is a low memory problem.

On the memory bit, even if you have 64MB or more you could still have memory resource problems if you have a lot of (unnecessary) programs that start on system start up. e.g. Real Player likes to have programs in the startup and will put icons on the system tray. Stuff like that does not to be loaded at startup and the extra time it takes to load when it is needed is insignificant.
If you are down in the below 80% resource range at startup you need to look at cleaning up your system.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2000 5:42 am    

It sounds to me like it's his email program causing the problem. Joe said his computer locks up as soon as he clicks on the paper clip, BEFORE he tries to open the JPG. I assume you can open other attachments okay. It sounds like you're using MS Outlook or Outlook Express, so I'd try reinstalling.

Joe Delaronde

Post  Posted 14 Mar 2000 7:58 am    

Jim........You understood it correct. All other attachments work OK. The problem started just after the Netscape caper. I'll reinstall Outlook Express.
Earnest B, I know the forum community members enjoy jesting, and I in return enjoy the comments. But in all Earnesty,(pun) it would be a sad day if this forum became a morbid site. My wife enjoys the "fights" some of the members get into. This is one big family, and I'm proud to be part of it!!! Anyway, thanks for the replies, and I'll try the advise!!!!!
Joe

[This message was edited by Joe Delaronde on 14 March 2000 at 08:05 AM.]