The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Digital Cameras
Kathryn Sabey

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2000 4:05 pm    

What are the should haves and the don't needs when looking at a camera to purchase? anyone heard of ixla brand?

Raybob

S. Lake Tahoe, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2000 6:53 pm    

I have an ixla under a different brand "Dimera" it was $99 so I bought it. I wish the oriental mechanical engineers would catch up with their electronics engineers. On mine there's a switch on back from standard to fine mode that didn't work. I opened it up to manually set it to "fine" mode. Other than that, it's OK. Now it's 640x480 only, has auto flash and seems to eat batteries.

------------------
Sierra S12 8+5 A6/D9 Uni
Bowman (6-strang) Guitar Design

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2000 7:49 am    

I bought a Kodak DC215 and it seems to be pretty decent. It cost less than $300.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
Richard Sinkler, BS www.sinkler.com

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2000 2:13 pm    

I bought a Snappy off ebay for about $35.
It interfaces my camcorder (any camcorder) to my PC. I can take live camera shots with it and also grab video from the camcorder. Works well, simple to operate. I recommend it for people that just need to get some pics for email etc, not for professional quality photos to print (though the resolution is very good, and only limited by your camcorder).

Check out www.play.com for info on Snappy.

-Bill

Bruce Wutzke

Marion, Iowa
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2000 4:15 am    

I like the Sony feature of using floppy
discs. I can view my pics on any computer where ever I might be. Also, it makes for cheap storage of pics.

John Gretzinger

Canoga Park, CA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2000 12:24 pm    

Kathryn -

The main thing you have to remember is that until you get into the professional models < $2000, you will not have the quality of the least expensive 35mm.

That having been said, the Kodak cameras seem to be about the best value for the money. I got a Kodak DC210 as an open box from Best for $150. The quality is good, and the batteries last reasonably well. The software provided to transfer the photos is OK, but any transfer via a serial port is slow. The DC210 produces reasonable pictures when attached to my Lexmark Z51 running at high resolution (1200x1200) on high gloss paper.

It is not a replacement for really nice 8x10 photos of something special. Leave that stuff to analog cameras for the time being.

If what you want is quick and dirty computer images, then you will be very happy with the Kodak line.

John
your mileage may vary

------------------
MSA D-10
'63 Gibson Hummingbird
16/15c Hammered Dulcimer

Kathryn Sabey

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2000 8:19 pm    

Thanks for the info. Looks like there are several to chose from.

Randy Reimer

Ardrossan, AB
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2000 1:11 am    

I use a creative labs "web go" It is a web cam, but unplug the usb and its a 600x400 digital camera with mempry for 96 pics.

Quality isnt the best, no flash, but it works good for posting pics on the web.

I've used Chinon and some other brands and determined its best to stick with a brand which has a net presence. I choose creative labs because i was tired of looking for drivers. If you ever misplace the disk or cd (mine came damaged for the previous camera) then its nice to be able to get the twain drivers off the web fast.

[This message was edited by Randy Reimer on 10 March 2000 at 01:16 AM.]

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2000 9:52 am    

I just got a Hewltt Packard c200 for around $ 300. It holds up to 80 pictures a low resolution and 20 at high. however it is a battery eater

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047

Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2000 2:03 pm    

My dad has a Kodak DC265 digital camera that actually makes better pictures than 35mm. The camera costs around $800 and has extremely good resolution up to 8x10 size. The next best feature is it runs off AA bateries. It stores the pictures on a CompactFlash card (sizes range from 8 megs on up) and will hold about 90 pictures per card, depending on the capicity.

The next best thing to get is a SanDisk ImageMate, a CompactFlash reader. The I/O on a CompactFlash card is extremely fast with this reader. I think they run about $80.

Jonathan

------------------
"We get up at twelve and start to work at one, take an hour's lunch and then at two were done."

[This message was edited by Jonathan Cullifer on 12 March 2000 at 02:09 PM.]

Kathryn Sabey

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2000 6:07 pm    

Thanks for all the great info

rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2000 6:31 pm    

I have a Sony FD88 - Love it -I can print out pictures with the software that comes with it and It is realy hard to tell them from 35 mm.
One of the tricks is getting good photo paper - I have been buying mine on the internet for about 25 cents a sheet. it is japanese made but I have found it to be better than Kodak, HP, etc. It is very brite white and high gloss and quick drying. If anybody is interested, email me and I will give the email address on where to order it. One downfall I have seen with all digital cameras is they are very tricky to get good night pictures.

------------------
Ron Petersen

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 13 Mar 2000 11:31 am    

You can pick up the Sandisk Imagemate from buy.com for around $40.00. That's where I got mine.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
Richard Sinkler BS, www.sinkler.com

Kathryn Sabey

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2000 4:29 pm    

Richard..how do the Kodak and the Sandisk compare?

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 13 Mar 2000 4:38 pm    

The Kodak flash card reader is made by Sandisk and is the exact same thing. It reads flash cards from any make of camera as log as they are the same type card. My wife has a Panasonic Cam Corder that uses a flash card for digital still pictures, and it reads those also.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
Richard Sinkler BS, www.sinkler.com