The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bumped off
Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2000 7:34 pm    

I've got aol and I keep getting knocked off the system. This is especially bad when I am typing responses on the forum. It will do it even after I clik on the "continue" screen. Anyone else have this problem?

------------------
Steve Stallings
Bremond, Texas
Carter D10/Evans

Jackie Toney

Johnson City, Tn USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2000 7:37 pm    

I got rid of them because of that.

Jackie

------------------
www.steelinusa.com

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2000 8:47 pm    

Oddly enough, I used to have the problem a lot more than I do now with AOL. I don't know why. Maybe they've upgraded something? I had just about reached the breaking point, ready to change ISPs when things improved.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2000 11:52 pm    

I called AOL on this matter some time ago and told them I was going to change servers and they gave me an antedote.
Go to keyword and type in "Quickmenu".
There will be a running ad tab that will come up at the top. Save it to your favorites then run that ad tab everytime you are online and you won't get kicked off.
That's the only reason I'm still with AOL; they will fix things for you if you tell them to.
Ricky

------------------
Ricky Davis
http://hometown.aol.com/sshawaiian/RickyHomepage.html
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html
sshawaiian@aol.com

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2000 3:21 am    

AOL has a history of disconnects. My daughter just got off of AOL for that reason.

However, some of it may be your modem or the phone line. If you have a newer Compaq Presario with a Rockwell HCF modem, you need to download the latest SP for the modem as it finally fixes the random disconnects (I know I have one). I have also seen the random disconnects on many of the newer PCI modems. You have to have relatively high free system resources - generally above 80% at startup.

There are also the telephone line problems. They include bad interconnect cables between the PC modem and the telephone RJ11 jack, inside (house) wiring and then telco line problems outside the house or the demarc box. Some of the external problems can be because of how the line is routed or telco equipment on the line between your house and the telco central office that the line terminates in. I just installed a new PC system for some people in a home and ran into telco problems (it would only connect in the 26-28Kb range and then randomly drop off), which turned out to be a bad telco jack in the room the PC was installed in. The connection worked fine with a telephone but wouldn't run data. I found it by running a long cord to a jack in a different room and it connected at 44Kb and didn't drop off. One big problem with telephone line problems if it is in the telco equipment (external to the house or on the telco side of the demarc), the telephone company will only guarantee the line for voice - not data so if there is a problem in the telco line you usually have a hard time convincing them they have a problem.

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2000 4:30 am    

I always thought that aol stood for "always off line".

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿©
mm
-=sr€=-

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2000 2:06 pm    

I go for weeks with no trouble than on any given day I'll get bumped so many times I want to smash the monitor.Last Sunday was real bad.

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2000 10:14 pm    

Ricky, thanx for the "fix"...it works for me.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2000 10:28 pm    

I will try again.I was trying to send my account of AOL nightmares and say that after being off line for two weeks ,and finally giving up that aol had a tech smart enough to help me get back on line,I cancelled my account.

I tried two other providers with no luck getting on line.I finally resigned with aol. It took me two days to find tech support that was knowledgable enough to help me get the new account to work.

I was trying to say seems like service was better now ,but I bumped off line in the middle of typing this and had to redo all of it --so forget it. I quess we are stuck with crappy service--- and this from the largest internet provider in the world.Amazing what I will go through just so I can read this Forum.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2000 7:28 am    

I've been using Netcom (now Mindspring) for years with no problems. I had AOL and dumped it because of the dumping, not being able to get on, and just generally slow performance. Will never go back.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
www.sinkler.com

John Gretzinger

Canoga Park, CA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2000 9:54 am    

Louie -

Do you have DSL available in Dennison? If you do, check into the cost. You'll love the service. I never drop a connection due to line problems - Netscape occasionally dumps on me however - and the speed is wonderful.

With some checking of rates, I found an ISP that is only $17.75/mo plus the $33.00/mo for the DSL line.

Good luck,

John

------------------
MSA D-10
'63 Gibson Hummingbird
16/15c Hammered Dulcimer

Moon in Alaska

Kasilof, Alaska * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2000 11:57 am    

Steve, I don't know if it will work with your system, but when I get bumped off the line while typing a reply, I click my E-mail, it then dials and connects, I can then close the E-mail window without losing my reply. If I have allready hit the submit button before I knew, when I close the E-mail window, the reply is automatically submitted.

------------------
<< Moon Mullin in Alaska >>
==Carter S-10==
<< Old Fender-400 >>
== Evans FET 500 Custom LV ==

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2000 12:57 pm    

Well I already told ya'll how "not" to get kicked off AOL; what's the problem?
Ricky

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2000 1:54 pm    

Well,I'm limited as to what I can see or not see on web tv but,in over 2 yrs.,I have NEVER been bumped off.(been ****ed-off a couple o' times,but never bumped-off.)
(you censors ain't got no @&^%# sense of humor)
------------------
  ~ ~

©¿©
mm
-=sr€=-

[This message was edited by Smiley Roberts on 01 March 2000 at 01:56 PM.]

Mark Herrick

Bakersfield, CA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2000 9:26 pm    

Just tried the Quickmenu trick, but alas, it is not available for Macintosh.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2000 11:07 pm    

So with AOL; a MAC can't pull up the Quickmenu tab? It only works if you have AOL and make sure you click the keyword button and then type in Quickmenu and click Enter and then save that tab in Favoites so you can initiate it each time you get on.
Ricky

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 12:09 am    

Rick....

Why should we have to put with with ad tags and other kinds of promos just to stay on-line ????

We pay good money eachh month for a connection to a I.P service, the least they could do is honor the contract with us. Not force the paying customer to punch through several minunits of ads and crap just to keep the connection.

Thats why I use a cable-modem,no such problems with this AND it's lightin' fast as compared to 56k dial-up connections. Can you imagine, A 5 MEG file down-load in a few seconds as compared to several hours on a phone-line connection. Most I.P services won't even let you stay on-line long enough to receive a 5 meg file.

just food for thought from Music City.

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 6:15 am    

Yeah, I got rid of AOL for the same above reasons a long time ago now. Been with a
local IP, 'MAP'. Only $17.95/mnth and the only time they'll disconnect you is if they don't sense any activity after 40 minutes.
That's fair. And this IP is a lot faster than AOL. I got friends around here who are still with AOL, and I don't have a clue as to why. I'd can them again in a minute.

------------------
Chip
Williams U-12 8X5

JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 7:59 pm    

Set your e-mail program to check your mail every 5 minutes while you're on line. it does it in the background, and makes the isp think you're actively doing something-won't knock you off. works for all timing out problems.

John

------------------
Better Late than Never!
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel

Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2000 9:02 am    

I have found the best thing since sliced bread for 'Net users. It is a free ISP (No ads, nothing hidden!) called FreeWWWeb. Wonderful ISP. If you decide you want to try it out, e-mail me and I will give you further directions so you won't have to download the software.

Jonathan
bubba_jonathan@yahoo.com