The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Computer
Charles McGough

Sterlington, LA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2000 11:56 am    

I am getting a new computer in this week. I want to copy some of the files from the old HD to the new one. They are much to large to copy to floppies. Anyone have a solution other than buying Laplink for $150 or more.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2000 12:55 pm    

There are some shareware and freeware programs that allow transferring files from one PC to another over the serial port. All you need is a "null" modem cable and the software. The "null" modem cable basically has one end with the certain pins reversed (e.g. Send Data, Receive Data, DSR, etc.).

I started to do that when I got a new PC last year, but after evaluating what I really needed to transfer it turned out it wasn't that much, as I either had the original disks or had most of it backed up anyway.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2000 12:57 pm    

You could put the old HD in the new computer, at least fo a while. Most computers have room for at least two of them at once.

John Gretzinger

Canoga Park, CA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2000 1:56 pm    

If I remember correctly, both W'95 and W'98 have the capability to hook two computers together through either the parallel or serial ports for just this kind of operation. You can get an appropriate cable from your local computer/electronics store for about $25.00.

John

------------------
MSA D-10
'63 Gibson Hummingbird
16/15c Hammered Dulcimer

George Rozak

Braidwood, Illinois USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2000 10:38 pm    

If you already have a normal serial cable, Radio Shack sells Null Modem cable adapters in the $3 to $5 range that will allow you to convert a regular serial cable to a Null Modem cable.

George

Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2000 12:39 am    

Alternatively, do you know anyone with a CD Writer?
Or had you thought of getting one- you can record audio on them too!

------------------
Cheers!

Charles McGough

Sterlington, LA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2000 3:42 am    

Thanks for all of the help. One of the computer guys from work loaned me a cable and the software to do the job. I still use some of your hints at a later date.
Charles McGough

Mel Culbreath

Waynesville, NC, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 7:54 pm    

Charles,

Sounds like you have your problem solved, but for the future you might want to go to www.download.com and get a utility called FileSplit. It is shareware ($10) and will let you split large files into smaller pieces for copying to a floppy.

Mel

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2000 3:09 am    

"If I remember correctly, both W'95 and W'98 have the capability to hook two computers
together through either the parallel or serial ports for just this kind of operation."

The program is "Direct Cable Connection", one of the "Communications" [ control panel/ add/remove programs/windows setup ] options built into W95 or W98. The file transfers or other "communications" are made via a serial cable connected to a serial port on each PC.
I believe that the "my briefcase" folder, if installed on the desktop, is intended as a "Buffer" to facilitate such transfers.

Charles McGough

Sterlington, LA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2000 8:16 am    

Well I finally got it done. I borrowed Laplink 95 and a parrallel port cable from one of the computer tech at the office. I insalled the software on both computers and hooked up the cable. Every time I tried to start Laplink on the new computer it would cause an exception and lok up the computer.
Next I tried the Direct Cable Connection, I could never get it to work. I could never get the usernames and passwords correct for the file sharing to work.
Finally I went with Ernest's suggestion and poped the old Hard Drive in the new computer as a second drive and copied all od the stuff over. I should have done this first. It was much easier in the long run.