The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best Deal on new Steel King?
Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2004 8:12 pm    

I ordered mine today from American Musical Supply-$699.99 Delivered with all accessories (cover,wheels,and foot switch)-I know that a few Forumites have posted seeing them for less-But when I went to the local Guitar Center they wanted that much plus tax (8.5%) which would have amounted to another $60-Sam Ashe was the same story-They could order one for $699.99 but again the tax-I could have ordered one from Scotty's for the same amount but shipping would have been almost as much as local state tax-So it appeared for me that A.M.S was the best deal-They said the amps were back-ordered but they expected them in about two weeks-A nice thing about ordering from A.M.S. besides the free shipping is that they extended the warranty for an extra year at no additional cost(Fender warranties the amp for only one year) So I guess that was the best deal I could find-Come to think of it I figure $700 is not much to pay for a new amp that is gonna get steels played through it that cost way more than that!

Sam Marshall

Chandler, AZ USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2004 6:58 am    

Paul,
Actually, Fender provides a 5 year warranty on the Steel-King.

Best Regards,
Sam

John Fabian

Mesquite, Texas USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2004 9:07 am    

Hi Paul,

You could have gotten the same deal here:

https://www.steelguitar.com/carter_store/fender/amplifier_orderform.html

------------------
John Fabian
Carter Steel Guitars

www.steelguitar.com
www.steelguitarinfo.com
www.carterstarter.com

[This message was edited by John Fabian on 12 November 2004 at 09:08 AM.]

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2004 10:11 am    

I got mine from the Guitar Center located in Rockville, MD for $550.00 plus tax. Call them and ask for Ian.

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2004 11:52 am    

Thanks for that info Sam-Gary Lee you got a good deal-Up here in Chicagoland no music store will stock one because of so few steel players in the area-They will take an order for one (if it's fully paid for up front)

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2004 1:34 pm    

Paul, I was told the Guitar Center located by me would not stock the Steel King either and my sale would be classified as special order, nonreturnable & no refund. Maybe that is why they sold me the amp cheaper than the competition? They required a one hundred dollar deposit to secure my order, delivery was less then 2 weeks.

[This message was edited by Gary Lee Gimble on 14 November 2004 at 06:38 PM.]

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2004 1:41 pm    

Gary did your price include freight??Thanks bb

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2004 3:04 pm    

Bobby, I was charged $9.00 for "shipping and handling" and had to go to the Guitar Center to pick up the amp.

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2004 5:00 am    

Your comment

Paul, I was told the Guitar Center located by me would not stock the Steel King either and my sale would be classified as special order, nonreturnable & no refund. Maybe that is why they sold me the amp cheaper than the competition? They required a one dollar deposit to secure my order, delivery was less then 2 weeks.

What other amp lines does GC carry? If I told you that dealers who are not 100% behind a product shouldn't be selling that product.Look for the BEST dealer who you trust and not the best price. Many times you can find this combination.

$1.00 deposit. what are they doing giving deposits back on soda bottles?. Next time buyer beware. You have a Great amp and there are outlets for Fender right here on this Forum. edited,if it were me I would have went with John Fabian, for peace of mind that you are dealing with a fine outfit. edited for spelling

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 14 November 2004 at 08:11 AM.]

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2004 1:14 pm    

Elderly's music store in Lansing Mi has one set up for people to try out, with some used lap steels handy. I brought Bobby Ingano and Derrick Mau to Elderly's after the Joliet convention. Bobby didn't like the amp at all, but we are all looking for our own type of sound/tone.
BILL

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2004 1:24 pm    

I like John Fabian to.But $150 is a $150.As for a dealer standing behind a new Fender.Doesn't Fender stand behind a new Fender as long as you have the paper work? Regards Bobby

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2004 6:48 pm    

Jody, sorry about the typo, I fixed it. Should read $100.00!
Peace of mind Vs convenience and price is all a part of the mix. GC informed they would stand behind any problems that might arise; within the specified warranty. They were very specific about me returning the amp if I wasn't satisfied with its performance, NO RETURNS!

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2004 5:21 am    

Gary....the GC near you isn't representing the corporate policy. The GC's here in Indy and in Chicago allow for returns within 30 days on ANYTHING, no questions asked, including used equipment and special orders. I know this firsthand, as I received two bum Deluxe Custom Twin 15" amps (special ordered) and they took them back. Even one which I had serviced first (under Fender warranty and through an outside amp tech).

If you had a problem with the amp and wanted to return it, I think a call to the district supervisor might change their "policy."

Come to think of it....even Musicians Friend (owned by GC) allows "no questions asked" returns...and THEY pay for the return shipping, if I am not mistaken.

My advice....don't give that GC your business. They don't deserve it.

And, FWIW....GC can generally buy equipment from Fender at 40%-50% of retail. So, a $1,000 amp would cost GC around $400-$500....so work from that price point when trying to deal with them. Hey....if they want you to haggle on price as if buying a car, then why not work from THEIR COST just like we can today at the car dealerships? I see no problem with that....and have had good luck doing it, too!

Joe

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2004 11:34 am    

Thanks to all who have replied-Gary L-I got the same terms from G.C. about the "special order" and no return for refund if not satisfied even though I am a "Green Tag Customer" who has bought plenty enough stuff there-And they were not gonna cut me a deal like you got-Joe A-yes that does seem contrary to their refund policy which they usually allows like 30 days for a full refund (at least on items in stock in the store)-with that kind of uncertainty I felt much safer to order from A.M.S.-Jody C and John F-Had I known about Carter Steel Guitars offering the same deal (with shipping) for the amp I would have gladly ordered it from the nice folks there!

[This message was edited by PAUL WARNIK on 15 November 2004 at 11:39 AM.]

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2004 2:31 pm    

Paul....my guess is you frequent the Villa Park GC? Wow....even they are doing that "special order" dealy that Gary had? Not a good trend....I hope GC isn't beginning to change their policy across the board.

Joe

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2004 9:43 am    

Joe A-It was the Burbank store not Villa Park

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2004 11:43 am    

Bobbe Seymour's Steel Guitar Nashville will start to carry Fender amps soon. Call him for a price. 615-822-5555.

Brian Donegan

Red Bank, New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2004 8:50 pm    

I just got a Fender custom twin 15 from Bobbe s, I got it shipped to me for a couple hundred less than Guitar Center or anywhere else had them for. I dont know his price on Steel Kings but I bet it will be lower than anywhere else. Brian