The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PSG W/Bose Stick?
Don E. Curtis

St Louis, Missouri, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2004 4:33 pm    

Several of my Gigs have recently went to the Bose Sticks with no monitors, and they're great! Especially with the aux. Woofer. Never had a better Banjo or Dobro direct sound, ever. But when I plug the PSG with a Goodrich 120 VP there is a major problem. I didn't realize untill I turned up the canned CD on break that there is a noticable delay time between the instant that you tune it up, and then momentarily the volume increases. I've read up on lot on the Bose and it seems to be in the E.Q. circuit but I'm not a great Electronics Tech so...
Anyway, now, just yesterday at a digital recording session direct with no V.P., I've never harldy ever used a V.P. in the studio for the past 25 years, only for effects, but yesterday it would have helped, and many times it's looped through a send and return and that works great, but yesterday when I attempted to us the V.P. the exact same thing occoured as with the Bose Stick.
Here's what happens: there is no d.b. change thoughout the first 75% of the V.P. travel, then a noise, then the sound comes on fast. Through the Nashville 400 I have a nice taper all the way up and down.
Would love to know what's up...
Thanks!
Don Curtis
Pedal Steel Guitar Owner

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2004 4:48 pm    

Sounds like it might have a built-in noise gate, and probably an automatic level control. The noise gate prevents extraneous sounds (below a certain level) from being amplified, while the automatic level control is designed to keep volume levels constant, thereby removing some of the "dynamics" of the performer. As to why it happened in the studio? Perhaps they have the same devices! (Or, maybe your pedal is going south?)

These things (Bose "Sticks") might be great for acoustic instrument amplification and vocal amplification in a small venue, but I doubt they're suitably designed to replace a large electric lead instrument amplifier. I also doubt they're designed to work with a volume pedal.

[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 16 November 2004 at 04:52 PM.]

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2004 5:05 pm    

I think Donny has it right, there is probably some gain control / EQ circuitry in there that is messin' with your signal. The main drawback with most everything BOSE has done so far is their reliance on extensive processing - EQ and otherwise - to make up for the otherwise poor response curve (that's the balance between low, mid and high frequencies for the non-techies out there) inherent in all of their speaker designs.

The main thing BOSE has had going for it from the beginning is a great marketing program. I find it hard to believe how many folks think it must be the best stuff ever made, mostly because they never heard of anything else.

Someone once explained to me that BOSE stands for "bring other sound equipment" - I had always thought it was "best on suite end-tables" but then I always was a fan of JBL and TAD systems that had a flat response as built. Still, if you can get it to do what you want to do then it is the solution to your needs, isn't it?

Dave

[This message was edited by Dave Grafe on 16 November 2004 at 05:09 PM.]

Jim Peters

St. Louis, Missouri, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2004 5:13 pm    

Don, it must be some seriously bad equipment to make you sound bad! I agree with the other posts, sounds like some type of automatic gain control. Hope you figure it out. JP

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2004 6:14 pm    

Don, I had a customer who always used to say "no highs, no lows, must be Bose!"

Klaus Caprani

Copenhagen, Denmark
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2004 10:17 pm    

It could sound like an impedance mismatch to me. I experienced something similar in the studio recently while recording direct. It seemed like that the volume just exploded during the last 10 -15 % of the pedal travel opposed to my Amp.

------------------
Klaus Caprani

MCI RangeXpander S-10 3x4
www.klauscaprani.com

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2004 4:40 am    

I tend to agree with the above posts about the auto gain control. Here is a link to the Bose forum you might post your question there.
http://bose.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x