The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  On/Off switch on Peavey LTD
Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 12:20 pm    

The on/off switch on an old Peavey LTD that I have sticks out farther than the cabinet. Consequently it gets broken sometimes in transit. I've had this amp for almost twenty years and this has happened at least 3 times. Does anybody know if there is a replacement switch that doesn't protrude out beyond the cabinet? It seems that its easy to break the toggle switch trying to cut it down, and even if you get it cut down to a shorter length, it makes it harder to turn on and off. Any input is welcome.

[This message was edited by Bob Watson on 13 November 2004 at 12:22 PM.]

Randy Wade

Batesville, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 7:11 pm    

First check with Mike Brown at Peavey to see if they have a switch that is shorter. That is an on/off/on dual polarity type right?
If nothing else though, why not put one of those cutting disks on the dremel tool and cut the switch lever off to your desired length?

Bob Watson

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2004 1:20 pm    

Bump ^

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2004 7:02 pm    

Bob, I deleted the pics you sent from the session that you did with James Burton. Can you send them again? Also your ph #

sfcharr@hotmail.com

Thanks Bob!

Tim

jim milewski

stowe, vermont
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2004 7:27 pm    

I broke mine cause it stuck out to far, I ground off about a 1/4" on the the new switch

Bob Watson

Post  Posted 15 Nov 2004 1:01 am    

Randy, I found a friend of mine who has a dremel tool and the cutter, but I'm worried about breaking the switch during the process. A friend of mine broke one trying to cut it down to size, but I am not sure what kind of tools he was using. I'll know more after I talk to him. Thanks for the suggestion of using a dremel tool, I woudn't have thought of it. I am hoping that there is a replacement switch so I don't have to modify the switches everytime I have to change one.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2004 8:44 am    

Bob, the 3 position ON/OFF/ON switch can be ordered through our Parts Department by calling toll free at 1-877-732-8391 and select the "Parts" option. The cost of the switch is $5.24 including freight if shipped within the U.S..

Thanks for using Peavey.
Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2004 2:40 pm    

Bob, you may have already considered this but, if there is a way to mount a rocker style switch ala the NV400, this might solve your problem. You'd have to modify the existing mounting hole to accept a rectangular mounting receptacle. Don't know if it's feasible or not...just a thought.JO

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2004 6:26 pm    

I put in the same switch and chopped off all but about a half inch of the handle. Then I sanded it down with the Dremel tool to take off the ruff edges. Works great and hasn't been a problem since.

------------------
My best,
Ernie

www.buddyemmons.com