The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lloyd's "Day For Decision": Custom Baldwin Amp?
Gerald Menke

Stormville NY, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2004 4:12 pm    

I just a got a copy of this pretty wild album of Lloyd Green's, and aside from the nutty distorted harpsichord, it's pretty g-damn great. The liner notes make mention of Lloyd using a custom Baldwin amp. Now granted Lloyd could play through a Crate and sound killer, but I have never heard anyone talk about Baldwin amps for the steel. Anybody know which one Lloyd was using? He sounds so exellent on this album, I think I might prefer his tone to the one he uses on "Lloyd Green and his Steel Guitar." I must admit I like Lloyd's own compositions better than the military chestnuts on "Day For Decision" however. He seems to use a tape delay throughout too, totally great.

Thanks for reading my post.

Gerald

Randy Wade

Batesville, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2004 3:23 pm    

You know what, he probably would sound great through a Crate amp. I have been using a Crate GTX-212 (modified by Crate to have a 15" speaker by special request)for about a year now and have gotten lots of compliments on the great tone by band members and many other musicians, and the five year transferable warranty aint too bad either.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2004 7:44 pm    

Not sure?..but wasn't the Baldwin amp a ShoBud amp that was distributed by Baldwin for a time. As was the ShoBud guitars with Baldwin at the same time?
DD

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2004 7:23 am    

I'm sorry, I think I'm missing something... did they even make Crate amps in 1966?

Gerald Menke

Stormville NY, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2004 8:16 am    

Dear Dave,

You are hysterical. I mentioned the Crate thing, just because those amps are not held in the highest regard by some of us, and I wanted to make it clear, that I am aware that at the end of the day, Lloyd would sound like Lloyd whethere he played through a Gorilla amp, a Dumble or as in this case, a Baldwin amp. I do really dig his tone on "Day For Decision", maybe it's because I was lent a clean vinyl copy!

Keep on pickin' everybody.

P.S. be sure to let us know the next time LTH is headed up this way.

Randy Carson

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 10:40 am    

i believe the baldwin amp was really a
sho bud with baldwin name that sho bud
made for baldwin.

ANYBODY FEEL FREE TO CORRECT ME, BUT BALDWIN HAD SOMEONE MAKE THEM AN AMP AND I THINK IT WAS SHO BUD

RANDY

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 4:05 pm    

Some thoughts from Lloyd........

He felt that "D.F.D." was his least favorite album of his career,& that statement still stands today.

He,also,did NOT like the Baldwin amp,which he used on,about,half the album. He,then,went back to the Fender Deluxe,which he was using at the time. Lloyd did not care for the Baldwin amp,nor did he personally endorse it.

He DID NOT use a Sho~Bud amp on the session,nor was the Baldwin built by Sho!Bud.
His producer,Aubrey Mayhew,(who was a "wheeler-dealer",if ya get my drift) had worked out a "deal" to get free equipment for the studio,in exchange for free publicity for the equipment.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com