The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ernie Ball volume pedals...?
Scotty Wenzel

Fort Collins, CO
Post  Posted 23 May 2004 5:54 am    

I am considering one of the Ernie Ball volume pedals. Are these clean enough for PSG? If not, what's a descent sounding, clean with no high freq rolloff, mid-priced option? TIA...

sw

[This message was edited by Scotty Wenzel on 23 May 2004 at 06:55 AM.]

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 23 May 2004 6:29 am    

Goodrich 120 over Ernie

Scott Appleton

Ashland, Oregon
Post  Posted 23 May 2004 10:14 am    

scratchy itch itch .. I remember my EB vol pedal
I had to warm it up for about a minut or two everytime i wanted to play a set. the throw is really designed for a standing person. Goodrich or any of the fine pedals made for steel is the way togo.

------------------
Mullen S12
Acoustic 165 100W tube
71 Tele, Regal 45, Gretch
Lap, Columbia Lap, Line 6

Nate LaPointe

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2004 10:48 am    

I use an EB for my guitar rig, I love it. But for steel, my right leg won't fit under the guitar if I use the EB, I use a Goodrich.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 23 May 2004 2:09 pm    

Nate, Scott, you guys make good points. I use an EB pedal on my guitar pedalboard, but my height wouldn't allow my legs to fit unde my steel with an EB pedal. Plus, the jacks on the front would make the pedal set too far back from the pedal rack.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 23 May 2004 2:30 pm    

The EB pedal is designed for guitarists, not steel players, IMHO.

And replacing the pot in one of these puppies is among the more challenging tasks I've encountered in the world of steel guitar maintenance. An RPITA.

Go with the Goodrich, which is the standard of the industry in pot pedals, or the Emmons/Derby type, if you like the pedalrack mounting system. The Goodrich has a pedalrack mounting bracket as well, but it's a heavier and bulkier pedal than the Emmons/Derby type.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Scotty Wenzel

Fort Collins, CO
Post  Posted 24 May 2004 1:45 am    

Thanks guys! Looks like it'll have to be a Goodun....I mean Goodrich.

sw

Gary Jones

Mount Vernon, Wa
Post  Posted 24 May 2004 7:11 am    

Actually the EB volume pedals were designed for steel guitar. It's just that over the years the design has changed many times.

In 1978 and '79 I was manager of the volume pedal shop in San Luis Obispo. I did all of the machine work, wiring and final assembly of all volume pedals made during this period.

The pedals were designed by a fellow named Ron Saul, who has since retired from EB. He consulted with many southern California steel players during the initial design period. Keep in mind that Ernie was a steel player(Bobbe Seymour told me that he has sold Ernie's old Bigsby 3 times).

Originaly the pedal had input/output jacks on the side, and used an AB 500k ohm pot. It had a taper control (which some people mistakenly refer to as a tone control). This control was not in the active signal path, but provided a variable resistance to ground for the AB pot, thereby changing the volume taper.

I have 3 of these left over from my days working at EB, and they are the only volume pedal I use. Since I have short stumpy legs the height of the pedals is not an issue. The only reason I would buy another pedal is to get one with active electronics, such as a Hilton or Goodrich.

To my mind the EB volume pedals have one advantage over other brands (which I have spoken of in other forums). That is, because the foot-plate itself is so light, if you take your foot off the pedal, it stays where you put it. In my experience other pedals tend to creep one-way or the other.

I agree that the newer pedals, with the jacks on the front, and 250k ohm pots, seem to be better suited for guitar players. The jacks seem to be set up for pedal-board use, rather than steel guitar purposes. I also agree that other brands would be a better choice at this time.

edited for splelling

[This message was edited by Gary Jones on 24 May 2004 at 08:37 AM.]

[This message was edited by Gary Jones on 24 May 2004 at 11:08 AM.]

Ben Slaughter

Madera, California
Post  Posted 24 May 2004 12:19 pm    

I'm using the EB pedal from my guitar rig right now and can't wait to get rid of it. Is great for guitar, but I don't like anything about it for PSG (size, travel, tone, etc).

------------------
Ben
Zum D10, NV400, POD, G&L Guitars, etc, etc.

Bobby Snell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 24 May 2004 12:33 pm    

One good thing about EB pedals...readily available at most music stores.

I just got one of the new, smaller ones from South Austin music. About $80. Works just fine, although I do prefer the 500K I will replace in my Goodrich.

Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 24 May 2004 12:34 pm    

I use an EB and love it.

It seems to have a larger angle of rotation, ie not so touchy or more foot movement for a given volume change.

Here's a trick to that may help changing the string. I take the screws out of the pot bracket, get the new string wound, and then get the bracket back in position, put the screws back in.

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 12:34 pm    

Ernie Ball makes a fine volume pedal--will last forever. Please don't put it down just 'cause it doesn't melt your butter.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 1:55 pm    

There ya go, Jeff. It's the only pedal I know of that I can stand on (240 lbs.) and not injure! Built like a Tonka truck!

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 3:35 pm    

I use mine when I stand up with my Fender Stringmaster. It stays put when I take my foot off it. My Goodrich pedal doesn't do that.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9),
Sierra Laptop 8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6),
Roland Handsonic, Line 6 Variax

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 3:47 pm    

Moved to 'Electronics' section.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 8:56 pm    

Ernie Ball pedals worked fine for me for years. I switched to Emmons style pedals so I don't use Goodrich or EB these days. As far as a comparison goes of Goodrich and EB:
They sound exactly the same ! Its just a freakin pot and a couple wires after all. If I remember right the EB might have a bit more throw which is a good thing. The new ones have the plugs in an awkward place though.

Bob

John Bresler

Thornton, Colorado
Post  Posted 26 May 2004 6:56 am    

Bob is absolutely correct. I have an early EB pedal and I like it. It compares to the Goodrich in every way. The EB throw is actually better for me but I don't have a preference. I use both pedals.

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2004 2:49 pm    

I too owned an Ernie Ball pedal and used it for years. (I now own a Hilton). For changing the strings, wrap the string around the pot as it should be. Here's the easy way to finish> borrow a Crochet hook from your wife, girl friend, now you can hook the string and place it over the pulley with no problem. (Hints from Heloise )

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2004 7:28 pm    

Either Goodrich,if we all can obtain some good 500ohm pots,or a Hilton pedal.