The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question on a JBL K140F
Bill Taft

Sturgeon Mo. USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 May 2004 6:33 pm    

If someone knows could you let me know what an old JBL is worth I dont think it has ever been reconed and came out of an old fender amp.
Thanks

------------------
ZUM 2003 Black SD-10 3&5 1985 Evans JBL [4Session 400'S] 1975 JBL's. 1976 session 400 15 scorpion 8ohm.Randall Steelman 500 JBL. Session size cabinet 15 K130 8OHM. PX-300 Peavey powered 300 cabinet Black Widow. Hilton Pedal or Old sho-bud sometimes. RV-3 and a DD-3 Steelers Choice Seat. Two built Teles, and a hotrodded classic head with 2 12 cabint.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2004 11:13 pm    

Well is it a K-130 or K-140???
Fender never put a K in a amp only D's then E's.....and what is the omhs??? Some were 16 ohm and some were 8 ohm(if orginal that is)...so a little more info; and I can give you a ball-park.
Ricky

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2004 4:25 am    

The K140 is a bass speaker. It lacks the top end to be used as a guitar or steel speaker.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 28 May 2004 5:22 am    

An amp like an Evans, with an accentuated high end, would probably like a speaker like a K-140, but the K is only rated for 100w max, like the D-series... if my memory serves me. It could probably handle the hyperexcursion of the bass notes, but I don't know about the power. If not played too loudly, it might work if it's an 8ohm.

I say this only because I have a 1502-4 BW (a bass speaker, is it not?)in my Evans and it is the best speaker for it I've found.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Cairo Zoots

Moville, Iowa ,next to the west fork of the Little Sioux River
Post  Posted 28 May 2004 6:23 am    

JBL 140
RECONE

$150.00 inc GST JBL K140/D140/E140 Aftermarket Recone Kit

Aftermarket recone kit to fit JBL K140, D140 and E140 15" (8 ohm) speakers. Comes ready assembled and is very close to the genuine article in both look and performance.

(Etrick Audio Visual in Australia sells this kit)....NOT from JBL, but claims-like many other after-market suppliers-that their recone kit-is CLOSE..... to the original...caveat emptor! Often times it may look like JBL, kinda sound like a JBL, but once an after market voice coil is used, it AIN'T a JBL no mo'! I ain't saying this is a BAD thing.....but once that voice coil starts developing a hot spot from wear or excessive current (heat), and you start hearing a loss of those once sparkling highs or solid-tight-clean sounding lows...you can either start buying digital effects to muddy-up your sound even more....or recone or replace that worn out speaker that's seen the inside of too many honky tonks, or battled with too many power trios. YMMV.

------------------
ree-00-dee-doo

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2004 1:25 pm    

I have a K-140 that came in a Fender Vibrasonic. I bought the amp in 79 and later sold the amp (Dummy) and kept the speaker. I use it in a cab alone with a D-130 with my rack system and it sounds great. It is a bass speaker and why Fender put it in the Vibrasonic, I'll never know, but it sounds good. I don't know what it is rated at as far as power, but it is 8 ohms. I would suspect they would sell for about $150 or so.

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2004 7:45 am     edited

edited

Last edited by George Piburn on 7 Jun 2012 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2004 2:36 pm    

Moved to 'Electronics' section.