The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey Session 400 Limited input jacks?
Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 4:31 am    

The input jacks on my '82 Session 400 Limited cut in/out. I need to replace them. It's loaded in the band trailer. I want to pick up a couple of them and bring them along on our next trip out and change them while I'm gone. It should be simple enough.

Now the problem: Because of a helper who didn't label the parts drawers, my tech doesn't know which one goes in without looking inside the amp and seeing which jack is being used. He has them, but doesn't know which one. I don't want to unload nearly the entire trailer to find out. Part numbers don't help.

Could somebody send me a picture of the right one? Maybe one in the amp and one out?

Thanks for any assistance!

------------------
My best,
Ernie

www.buddyemmons.com

[This message was edited by Ernie Renn on 25 May 2004 at 05:33 AM.]

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 5:13 am    

I don't have a camera handy to take photos of the jacks, but I suggest that you check the jacks by looping them together, or closing the circuit, ie; high gain input to low gain input, PRE EQ PATCH send to the return jack, EFFECTS PATCH 1 SEND TO THE RETURN, EFFECTS PATCH 2 SEND TO THE RETURN and finally on the rear panel, PRE AMP OUT to POWER AMP IN jack. By closing these loops one at a time, it should be an indication of
which jack is not functioning properly.

Unless there is a soldering problem with an internal connection, I suspect one of the switching jacks, which is part number 71466164. I can't be certain that this is the actual problem, but it is something that you can check for externally.
Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation

[This message was edited by Mike Brown on 25 May 2004 at 06:47 AM.]

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 5:23 am    

Mike;

Thanks for the reply!

I normally used input number two. When it became intermittent I switched to the other one. Now that one is doing the same thing.

It all started back when one of the nuts was loose. I tightened it and heard a crack. After that only certain ends would fit into it. I didn't realize that there were different sized ends, but some fit and some don't. I believe it's time to replace them.

BTW: Are the send/return jacks the same as the input ones? If I had to I could swap them out.

------------------
My best,
Ernie

www.buddyemmons.com

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 10:12 am    

Ernie its not good when you hear it crack
Hook

------------------
HookMoore.com

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 26 May 2004 11:27 am    

Ernie............

NO,NO,NO.... You canot just swap out the send/return jacks for the input jacks !!

The only results will proberly be a "dead" amp. If a jack is defective in one place,it sure as heck is gonna be defective in a nother. Bite the bullet and replace both input jacks. Leave the others alone.. unless you want to have a pro fix problems that should not have happened in the beginning.

Un-fortunatly most oem equipment uses those plastic jacks mounted directly onto the PCB. This cause untold problems for the players. The jack won't stand up to the physical abuse we doled out to the old hand-wired jacks. They break loose from the PCB,the plastic houseing splits,if you use a cord with heavy metal plugs,they most likely wont work anyway because the weight of them open the jack.