The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Loading Newman presets in Bassfex
Bob Tuttle

Republic, MO 65738
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 1:41 pm    

When I insert the card into the Bassfex and try to load the presets, I get "Not a Bassfex card" on the readout. I tried reinitializing the unit, but it still doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 4:25 pm    

Bob,
Go ahead and press the exe button and it will load and you won't see the message again.

Bob

Bob Tuttle

Republic, MO 65738
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 5:09 pm    

OK, I tried that and I still get the message
"Not A Bass-Fex Cartridge"

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 5:41 pm    

Bob, make sure the write protect switch is in the "on" position before you do this just for pre-caution. Insert the card into the slot and push your global button unit you reach the cart menu. Tab over to "init" which is for initilaize. Push the execute/store button. The will format the card to be read by the unit. You can then load the presets from the card to the unit by going the "load" under the same menu or save presets from the unit to the card by selecting "save." If you are trying to save the presets to the card you will have to turn the write protection switch to off on the card.
Dave

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 6:04 pm    

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure that if you initialize the card, you'll erase everything on the card. It's like formatting a floppy or hard drive.

Bob Tuttle

Republic, MO 65738
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 6:19 pm    

Well........I tried all that.... still getting the same message.

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 7:54 pm    

Jim, after reading over the manual, you are correct. It will overide the presets on the card if you initialize the card. That is why I told Bob to make sure the write protect switch is in the "on" position. Herein appearently lies the problem: you can't initialize the card with the write protection on and if you cut it off, you lose the presets! Bob, what card are you using? The manual is on the website at www.peavey.com. Just go to the upper right hand corner and click on manual and enter bassfex. You can then download the manual. I wish I had a better answer to help, but I have never had that problem with my units. I always had 2 cards or 2 units. If it is a peavey card, it shouldn't give you that message tho.
Dave

[This message was edited by David Higginbotham on 25 May 2004 at 08:56 PM.]

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2004 4:40 am    

Could it be that each type of unit initializes a card in a format that only that specific type of unit can read? Maybe a BassFex can only read cards written by another BassFex, and one written by a ProFex II or TubeFex can't be read?

Since the TubeFex and TransTubeFex have preamp settings, the BassFex or ProFex II wouldn't know what to do with those parameters anyway.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2004 4:55 am    

I've loaded the Newman presets into several Bassfexes without a problem. Does the card work in a Profex II or Tubefex? It could be a card problem. Where is Ken Fox when you need him? LOL

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2004 5:03 am    

Bob, feel free to contact me toll free at 1-877-732-8391 and I'll walk you through loading and saving presets. Apparently, there is one small step that is being overlooked. I am in the office from 8am to 5pm CST Monday through Friday and I would be more than happy to assist you.

Here's a little secret......................
The Profex II and Bassfex are one and the same unit with only a different EPROM. The artwork is different as well.

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation

Bob Tuttle

Republic, MO 65738
Post  Posted 26 May 2004 5:06 am    

The card is a Peavey cache card 32. Corky Owens was kind enough to mail it to me and let me borrow it. He uses a Profex II (I think).

I've been exchanging e-mails with Ken Fox. Maybe we can get this thing figured out. I appreciate everyone's help. Thanks.

Bob Tuttle

Republic, MO 65738
Post  Posted 26 May 2004 7:44 am    

I just got off the phone with Mike Brown and it has been determined that the card is empty. I don't know if something happened to it in the mail, or if I did something that caused it. Anyway, I'm sending the card to Mike and he's going to load it for me. I can't say enough about Peavey's excellent customer service. Thanks, Mike. And thank all of you who tried to help.