The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking For an Amp Repair Place
Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 May 2004 2:43 am    

Can anyone recommend a place to take a Nashville 400 for a difficult to locate problem ? Hopefully with-in driving distance of my home. Springfield, Mo. --Tulsa, OK. etc etc ? Thanks .

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2004 5:41 am    

Hello Bill,
I recommend that you eliminate the speaker as the possible problem, then send the chassis to an "authorized" Peavey Service Center as they know the product best, have access to the schematics, etc.. Or, you could return the chassis to us here at the factory for repair. But, I will caution you that at this point in time, we won't be able to repair it right away.

If you wish to talk this over with me, I can be reached toll free in North America at 1-877-732-8391.

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation

Danny James

Summerfield Florida USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2004 5:42 am    

Hi Bill,
I highly reccomend contacting Mike Brown at Peavey Electronics and send your amp/chassis to them. You will find they are the best people to work with you could ever hope for and their prices are very reasonable.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2004 11:26 am    

Bill,

Before you take it, or send it to anyone, check out the following.

A NV400 is one of the most trouble free amps I have ever known about. However, there IS a very common problem on this amp that manifests its symptoms in various ways. Add to it that this problem is usually more intermittent than consistent, and it has led to more than one player getting frustrated.

And the cure is quite simple. Do this if you have not already. When the problem is happening, reach under the chassis and wiggle the plug coming from the reverb unit. If the trouble goes away or gets worse, you simply have a dirty connector.

There are two ways to clean it.

1. Simply unplug and replug it back in several times. (note: it is often very tight). Do this with the amp off.

2. Procure some "contact cleaner" (available at Radio Shack) and spray both the plug and the socket. Again, amp off.

Of course if you have already gone this route, then I too recommend sending it to Peavey. I believe it is always best to send any item to those who designed and built it. NOT saying there are not other qualified technicians around.

Also, NOT saying one is not subject to a non conscientious tech at the Factory (believe me, factories have them too). But the odds are far more in your favor going the Factory route.

carl

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2004 12:57 pm    

I have been in the autobody repair business in the 60's, cabinet shop in the 70's and music from the 60's til now and I have never ever seen a Company with customer support as good as Peavey has. I have seen some very good support from other companies but none as good as Peavey. I would not hesitate to send the amp to Mike. It will be fixed right and you will not be charged for anything you don't get or need.
Jerry

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2004 9:19 am    

If it say's PEAVEY, Mike is your man !!! No and's , if's , or butt's !!!.....Jim

Alan Pagliere

Brooklyn, NY, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2004 1:49 pm    

I agree. Send it off to Mike at Peavey. I just did that and wish I'd done it a long time ago. The amp chassis (which is all I needed to send him) came back and the my 400 sounds like a dream.

------------------
Alan Pagliere
MSA Millennium S12 Universal

Bill Myrick

Post  Posted 21 May 2004 1:54 pm    

Thanks guys--I'll give Mike a call the first of next week but I think he may want the Black Widow with it as one of the possibilities may be loose debre some place in the speaker assembly---we'll see .

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2004 5:00 am    

Bill, Tell me the symptoms. Maybe I can help.
My shop is 100 miles east of Springfield on I-44.

Virgil Pittman

Colcord, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 May 2004 9:38 am    

Hi Bill,
Give Joe Twist a call.He lives in Springdale,your back yard.You can reach him at 479-756-0025.He has repaired hundreds of amps for me here at the store.He is honest and very reasonable. Virgil

Bill Myrick

Post  Posted 24 May 2004 2:18 pm    

Hey--Thanks, Virgil---that sounds like a first choice.-