The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lighted fret boards, solution
Jimmy Dale

Ripley, W.Va
Post  Posted 11 May 2004 12:27 pm    

I have Macular Degeneration and really have a problem in dimly lit rooms. I have had to carry a shop light to hook up for this reason. Now then,,, I went to Advance auto parts, and bought a product called "El Neon" light strip. It is 5ft. long and is no more than 1/8 inch in diameter. 20 bucks.
I then went to Lowe's and asked the man for a piece of plexiglass cut to the dimentions of my fretboard. This was no charge because he got a piece big enough from the scrap bin. The plexi is 1/8 thick.
The neon strip comes with glue and will stick real well to the plexiglass. I run it around the edge of the plexiglass and trimed the excess off the end.
You will have to have a wall wart that puts out 12 volts and enough wattage to make it work. I had an old wall wart that came with a Yamaha 4 track recorder that works fine. Bottom line is; I personally have 20 bucks in this settup and it works great. I did put a little piece of velcro on the under side to hold it in place. I sure hope this helps some one else. Jimmy I'D RATHER BE STEELIN

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 11 May 2004 1:33 pm    

That's a great idea, Jimmy. I did a search for "El Neon" on Google and came up with several sites. It looks like some folks are using these stips to light up their computer cases and even the keyboard. The kids are using them to decorate their Playstations, X-Boxes, Game Cubes, etc.

Does the strip cause any buzzing or other noises when the guitar is plugged in to the amp?

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Down On The Rio Grande

Jimmy Dale

Ripley, W.Va
Post  Posted 11 May 2004 4:22 pm    

Lee, No noise at all. I was very happy to find this thing. I am legally blind in the left eye and have been for some time. The right eye is going slowly. So far God has left a little hole in the middle that I can see through with ample light.But sooner or later I know it's going to go also. I hope this neon string will help for a while. Jimmy I'D RATHER BE STEELIN'

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 11 May 2004 6:38 pm    

Jimmy,
A friend of mine, Joe Turner has an S12 Marlin that he installed LEDs for fret markers, also a small light in the changer to see to tune it, looks real neat when lit up.

I have a minerature(sp)spotlight that shined on my steel,I used to sit it on my case that was stood on end beside me.

Bill

Jimmy Dale

Ripley, W.Va
Post  Posted 11 May 2004 7:13 pm    

Hey Guys, I just sit for a half hour in total darknesss and played with no trouble. Then turned on a small neon light behind me in the back of the room and had no problem at all. I play a Kline U 12 keyless so tuning is not a problem. Jimmy I'D RATHER BE STEELIN'

Peter Siegel

Belmont, CA, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2004 3:45 pm    

Another option to try is to string clear mini christmas lights along the fretboard.
Cheap, easy to find, no wall wart needed and oh so decorative. You could run them up the guitar legs too if you wanted, for effect.

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 13 May 2004 11:49 am    

does this el neon string get hot?

Jimmy Dale

Ripley, W.Va
Post  Posted 13 May 2004 2:41 pm    

Dave, no heat at all. Jimmy I'D RATHER BE STEELIN'