The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Single coil hum
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 11 May 2004 8:54 pm    

I like the sound of single coil pickups but on the road the hum can get pretty bad in some rooms. I was wondering if a small extra pickup could be wired out of phase, or whatever its called, to the regular pickup and placed out of the way under the guitar that could act as a hum canceler without screwing up the sound ?

Thanks, Bob

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 12 May 2004 5:31 am    

I suppose you could conceivably do that,
but it would "zap" the output of the main
pickup. It would pretty much cut the volume
in half (depending on the impedance of the
extra pickup, that is).

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2004 7:04 am    

Right; you would have a dual coil pickup system. You might as well use one that was designed that way.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2004 8:05 am    

Sounds to me like you have described a Humbucking pickup !!...This has been a battle for YEARS for builders to come up with a single coil pickup that does NOT hum ...When it comes to electric guitar, Bill Lawrence has what apears to be a single coil pickup for Tele's and Strat's....In reality , it's a humbucking pickup, but has a very traditional single coil tone ....You may want to have a talk with Bill ..I'm sure that he would be happy to discuss this with you ....Jim

mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2004 11:14 am    

Bob,
Maybe you could get a humbucker that you could switch to single coil...some older Ibanez 6 strings had a feature like this...keep it single coil unless the hum is too bad. I have used the George L TPPP pickup. I liked it on some guitars and didn't like it on others. I have one with a Sho-Bud mount that I am not using....if you can use it you are welcome to try it out and see what you think.

-Mike

Lawrence Lupkin

Brooklyn, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2004 11:35 am    

Maybe if you hum along with it people won't notice it as much.

Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2004 3:12 pm    

Play LOUDER than the hum!

Glenn Austin

Montreal, Canada
Post  Posted 12 May 2004 3:19 pm    

If you could get your hands on a humbucker that has 4 wires coming out of it instead of two, you could just mount a on-on-on toggle switch and be able to switch between series coils, parallel and single coil. I'm sure that somebody could modify a humbucker for that.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2004 3:23 pm    

I have installed two sets of three pickups (Strat style in mid postion) in my Telecasters, made by Bill Lawrence. They are great. I think the idea he had was to stack one coil on top of the other with an air gap. The bottom pickup can't pic-up the strings sounds but rejects hum. All I can say is it works and I love the tone.

I just bought a Carter U-12. I ordered it with a Wallace Truetone. Loved the sound but I could not handle the hum. I got a Lawrence XR-16 from Carter. I like it quite well. A bit more of a compressed tone. The 910 Lawrence is supposed to capture the single coil sound. I was told it would make my Carter sound more like a lap steel(not by Bill or Becky), so I went with the XR-16. Give Bill or Becky a call! They are always glad to talk about pickups with steelers.
http://www.billlawrence.com/

[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 12 May 2004 at 04:25 PM.]

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 13 May 2004 5:13 am    

Gentlemen..........

In order for hum-bucker P/U's to work efficently(read this as work at all,to reduce/cancel out hum),the two coils, need to be in very close proximity to each other !!

There is a bunch of theory behind this statement which we won't go into here. I have expermented with this canceling thing for quite a long time,in my earlier electronic career.

As a test,take a audio transformer with 2 windings in either/or input or output side and reverse just one set of leads. The sound WILL go to zilch/bad/not at all/low in a hurry. This is caused by the canceling of a portion of the the AC signal that is constant (like the 60 cycle hum).

End of soapbox and lesson 101 of sound.

------------------
http://home.comcast.net/~crookwf/

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/crookwf/my_photos