The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Pickup Installation Tips Please
Darrell Hendrix

Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2004 3:08 pm    

I've joined the ranks of True Tone pickup owners. Thanks to all that offered me advise on what would be a good replacement for my original SB pup. Now......
I could please use a few tips on how to properly do the work. Anything I positively must do? Anything I positively must avoid? Seems like it should be a simple task...remove the old one and install the new one. Well, that seems too simple. There must be some things that I need to be very careful about. I know red to hot and black to ground and ground the changer. Is that all there is to it?
Thanks in advance for any tips you want to share!

------------------
I would almost give anything to play just a little like John Hughey !

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2004 11:46 pm    

Yes the TrueTone has a white wire for Hot and braided wire wrapped around that sheilded white hot wire...>.so cut the outter grey sleeve to expose the braided ground and white wire......>un-ravel the braided grounding wire and twist it up...and run it to the ground of the jack....and run the white wire to the hot of the jack...and either run a extra wire from the ground on the jack to a screw spot on the changer or bracket that eventually touches the changer/strings....or splice a small part of the grey wire at a point where you can run it under the raise spring bracket....and there ya go.
Ricky

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 7 May 2004 4:35 am    

The tricky part for me wasn't the electrical stuff; it was getting the springs to stand up while I push the allen-head screws through them. Sure you can put the spring onto the screw first but you've got to do all 4 simultaneously and then turn them all upside down, where they fall off. So... I ended up putting toothpicks into the holes in the body of the steel and standing each spring up on a toothpick, while I turned the pickup over and placed all 4 screws into all 4 springs simultaneously. I guess maybe I could have tried to stick each spring to the bottom of the pup with a bit of gum or crazy glue... I'm sure other guys have other tricks...

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2004 11:11 am    

Jim: I know what you are talking about with the four springs on the pickup. Solution: Turn the guitar on its side. Then put the springs over the screws. You are now putting the pickup in sideways and the springs won't fall off during the procedure.

Simple, Huh?

rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 8 May 2004 2:32 pm    

Ok Ricky - The extra ground wire to the changer??? Never have done that - What's the reason??

------------------
Ron Petersen &
The Keep'n Tyme Band
Mullen Universal 12 - 1975 Session 400

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2004 4:07 pm    

On single coil pickups you will get rid of the buzz if you ground the pickup to the strings...
Ricky

rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 8 May 2004 6:06 pm    

I'll hafta try that
Thanx....Ron

------------------
Ron Petersen &
The Keep'n Tyme Band
Mullen Universal 12 - 1975 Session 400