The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  JBL M-31 Speaker
Larry Robinson

Peachtree City, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2004 2:31 pm    

I have 2 JBL Signature M-31-4 speakers.They are in original condition, not re-coned, and sound great. Doesn't this speaker have the same specs as the JBL D-130? I have seen Shobud and Peavey amps with this speaker installed. I believe these speakers are identical electronically. Any information about the speaker appreciated.
Larry Robinson

Jeff Hogsten

Flatwoods Ky USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2004 7:07 pm    

I had one once and was told they were the same as a d 130 but were manufacted for peavey when they first came out with the session 400 I dont know how accurate that is but it is the story I got

Murnel Babineaux

Mermentau, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2004 9:13 pm    

The M Series speaker was designed to sound like the vintage speakers of yesteryear. Smooth sounding speaker, not intended to sound like the JBL's current E Series speakers.

Murnel

Bill Simmons

Keller, Texas/Birmingham, AL, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 May 2004 7:21 am    

I have one in my '79 Webb and they are smoothier and sweeter sounding than the E series to my ear. I put an E series in for one day and quickly removed it! I'd like to find another one...they look like the old D-130 speaker as well.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2004 8:47 am    

How many watts can they handle? I have one around somewhere.

------------------
Dave Zirbel-
Sho-Bud Super Pro, 8 x 5, ZB Custom D-10 8 x 5, Dobro Cyclops reissue, 1967 Fender Telecaster, Webb 6-14E, Fender Super Reverb
The Mother Truckers

[This message was edited by Dave Zirbel on 01 May 2004 at 10:43 AM.]

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 1 May 2004 10:25 am    

I had a Peavey Studio Pro 50 that I put a 12" M series JBL in. It really sweetened up the sound from the amp.

Larry Robinson

Peachtree City, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2004 3:00 pm    

I have a '69SF Twin Reverb I bought new and it came with 12" JBL's. I cut a new baffle board and mounted the 15" M-31. It sounds just like my '62 Vibrosonic. I'm going to leave the 15" in the twin. I will probably sell the twin at a later date. Thanks for all the input. That 15" speaker is a jewel.

Larry Robinson

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 1 May 2004 3:30 pm    

I have an M 31 and a D 130. They look and weigh the same. I'm thinking for all practical purposes they are the same.

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 1 May 2004 4:10 pm    

So, the M series is alnico like the D-130?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 1 May 2004 10:42 pm    

I'm not so sure. The "M" series speaker I have bears absolutely no resemblance to the "D" )or "K" or "E")series speakers. Must be different versions of the "M" speakers. The magnet on the "M" speakers I have are not as massive as the "D'(or "E" & "K") Series speakers I have owned in the past.

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k, NV400

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 4 May 2004 10:37 am    

If you search electronics for "JBL M31," you will find several threads on these speakers. Apparently, after the D130 was discontinued, some manufacturers requested them from JBL. So JBL reintroduced a copy of the D130. These were designated M (possibly for "manufacturer") with a different number for each manufacturer (M30, M31, etc.). Both Sho-Bud and Peavey put them in their amps in the '70s. These products are not listed at the JBL site, but there are some other JBL products with M designations with completely different types of numbers, and these are completely different types of speakers. For all intents and purposes, JBL M30 and M31 are JBL copies of the old D 130 or D 130F. Thus, they are similar to the K 130, but not the E 130.