The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Using one amp
Leslie Ehrlich

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 1 May 2004 1:23 am    

Are there any guitarists out there who play guitar and PSG through the same amp when they perform? I use an A/B box to link both guitars together. I find that using one amp means hauling less gear around and quicker set up and take down time.

But here's the rub. In doing so, one has to decide whether or not to use a guitar amp or a steel amp. I'm a rock 'n' roller, so the choice was easy. I also play with distortion (i.e. overdriving the amp, not using a stompbox) most of the time and I like the sound of Celestion speakers (or any twelve inch speaker that is similarly voiced).

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 1 May 2004 3:28 am    

I have a Peavey Transfex Pro 212S stereo amp.
It has a Profex/Tubefex emulator built in with 2 amps; one for each speaker.

I have a midi control pedal and can write a preset for each instrument I want.

It unfortunately only has on input on the front. So I will be putting a little mixer after the Hilton , and just pick up which ever instrument I want to play and hit the midi pedal. et voila, all the sounds I want with one amp.

Also I can get several sounds and effects packages in the same song on steel.

Shortly Brad Sarnu's Black Box tube preamp will be the 1st steel stage before the Hilton.

Chuck Martin

Clifton, Virginia
Post  Posted 1 May 2004 4:19 am    

While I am not a "pro" I have a Music Man HD-212 I use for both and have been very happy with the sound. The MM is a 150 watt hybrid, solid state preamp with a tube power section. I believe Mike Perlowin also plays steel through this amp.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 May 2004 5:11 am    

When I played both steel and lead, I'd use a Twin Reverb. It did a good job on both. But if you like a good overdriven sound on guitar, and a clean sound on steel, you might need two different amps.

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2004 5:32 am    

Last time I played Sho-Bud Pro II and Tele for the same gig, I used a two-channel ART mic pre-amp. Channel A for steel was set with moderate tube gain, and Channel B for guitar was set with high tube gain. Both outputs from the pre-amp plugged into a Peavey LTD 400 with a JBL. No complaints, steel was clean, Tele was was not sterile and ice-picky. The only thing better (from my arsenal) would be to use two amps -- the LTD 400 for steel and Deluxe Reverb for guitar.

Dennis Wood

Savannah, TN USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2004 6:37 am    

Steel into back of Tubefex, Tele pluged into the front of Tubefex as needed, Tubefex output to Nash400 or Session400. CHange Tubefex patch from Steel to Tele...
Works for me...
dw

------------------
Sierra U-12 Crown Gearless, Peavey Nashville 400,
1971 Fender Twin Reverb,
Peavey Tubefex,
Peavey Session 400,
Peavey TT Bandit w/ex speaker. Regal Reso, Tele, Strat, 1970 Les Paul Std.

Henry Nagle

Santa Rosa, California
Post  Posted 1 May 2004 12:30 pm    

Fender amps are cool. I dial in the reverb channel for steel and the other for guitar.

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2004 12:44 pm    

Fender Twin. I've got a couple of gigs where I go between steel and strat. I also use a PODxt. For steel the POD has all amp models bypassed and it's just and effects unit with reverb and delay. When I grab the strat, I kick the PODxt to a patch with a cool amp model like a Tweed Fender, a Matchless, a Marshall JTM45, a Vox or whatever. The Twin is so great. I may wire up the first channel to the Twin's reverb so I can use one channel for geetar and the other for steel. That seems like a good way to go too.

Brad Sarno
'69 Twin, '69 push/pull, '73 ZB

r johnson

flatrock mi
Post  Posted 1 May 2004 4:13 pm    

I use a Peavey Vegas 400, it has two different imputs and each has an EQ section.
Set one up for steel one for guitar, each
instrument sound good to me.

Leslie Ehrlich

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 1 May 2004 5:46 pm    

I thought I might add that I like playing PSG through an overdriven amp too, so using a guitar amp is not a problem for me. The Sho-Bud sounds great with distortion, providing that I'm playing in tune. If I need a clean sound for guitar or steel, my Fender Roc-Pro has a mid shift button on the clean channel, and it makes both guitars sound less harsh and twangy.

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2004 7:30 pm    

I play steel and guitar in my family gospel group. I run my steel through a Tubefx into the fx loop return on my PV Bandit and my guitar through a Quadraverb GT into the normal input and use the amp's foot switch
to cut the fx loop off and on. Works like a charm.
Tony

Rand Anderson

Cardiff, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2004 11:47 am    

Brad
I wire all my blackface amps to run reverb on both channels then you get separate gain and eq for guitar and steel and they both still get verb. i dont share tremolo.
i will also use a nashville 400 with a profex 2 into the amp in on the back and a Award JD10/gp100 into the front end for tele if i dont feel like lugging my princeton or deluxe
rand

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2004 1:54 pm    

I like that setup. I need to get that reverb hooked up to my Twin's normal channel.

Brad Sarno

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 3 May 2004 2:24 pm    

I never liked the sound of my steel amp ( a Peavey LTD ) for guitar unless I was playing a Jazz gig. For any other genre, I never felt the 15 inch speaker sounded good, espeacially any kind of a distortion sound. I have a Peavey Speacial 150 that I would use for guitar/steel gigs. It sounded fine for E9 but it didn't get it for C6. I recently picked up a Peavey PX 300 which I use a Profex ll for steel, but a friend of mine lent me a Pod 2.0 and I did find some good steel sounds with it. I had to give the Pod back, but I picked up a Behringer V-Amp and it sounds pretty good. I always get a good sound out if for guitar, as for steel, I have gotten great sounds out of it in one club that I frequently play, but I took it out to a bigger club this weekend and it didn't sound as good to me there. I saw the potential and I think it will work fine at the bigger club once I get time to toy with it when I set up in the afternoon and nobodys around. Its great to only have to bring one amp to the gig!

Tim Bridges

Hoover, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2004 3:49 pm    

Leslie, I like you play R&R, blues, Americana, country and about anything else that people will let me attempt to play. I compromised. I bought a Music Man RD 112 (all tube), stuck in a JBL and it's the size of a Blues Junior! I had a Session and went to the Nashville 400 with the Lemay Mod. Again, a smaller amp. Plus, I personally preferred the Nashville 400 sound. I'm technologically impaired, so I took the easier way out for me. I can load 2 amps, Elite Seat, D-10, PRS, Acoustic, guitar stands, Music stand, a wife and kids. All in a Ford Explorer. It takes me minimal time, effort and satisfying results. My $0.02 worth.