The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Neutral Settings for NV400
Ben Slaughter

Madera, California
Post  Posted 3 May 2004 12:35 pm    

Does anyone know what the actual "neutral EQ" settings are for a NV400 (i.e. flat eq)? For a "neutral" set on the twin, I use Bass-0, Treb-0, Mid-10.

The reason I ask is, I've found that when using a POD for front end tone shaping, the results are much better when the amp's eqs are bypassed. I need to start dialing in some tones for use with the NV400 so I don't have to lug the twin around.

------------------
Ben
Zum D10, NV400, POD, G&L Guitars, etc, etc.

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2004 12:57 pm    

Ben, I see what you're going for here. I'd like to add that to get a Twin "flat", you're pretty close. I'd say that flat on a Twin is more like:

treble - 2.7
midrange - 8
bass - 2.7

I believe that the NV400 is not voiced. In other words, it's flat if you put everything at noon. The older Peavey's like the LTD400 and the Session 400 had a voiced EQ and the midrange control was cut-only so at noon, you had a pretty decent sized midrange dip. I notice that most people with the newer Peavey amps like the NV400 or NV1000 will dip pretty heavily at around 800Hz to get it sounding like a steel amp. If you're doing all the voicing in the POD, it makes sense that you'd want the amp pretty flat. You'll still probably find that you'll want a tiny bit of EQ'ing to compensate for the cabinet and speaker resonances of the NV400 to help bring out the realism of the amp models in the POD.

Brad Sarno

Ben Slaughter

Madera, California
Post  Posted 3 May 2004 1:06 pm    

Thanks Brad. My NV400 is pretty old, at least before the mods were stock. Any reason to think it might have a voiced eq? I suppose I'd figure it out pretty quick.

And, you're right, I think I'll play with the eqs a bit (especially in the mids) once I get some good patches. But would like to start flat.

------------------
Ben
Zum D10, NV400, POD, G&L Guitars, etc, etc.

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2004 1:52 pm    

Even the old (pre-mod) EQ is flat at noon. The mod doesn't introduce voicing, it moves the center frequencies of the tone controls around and, I think, gives a bit more bass boost range. Flat is still flat.

Brad

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2004 2:08 pm    

Brad is correct concerning the NV400. Putting the treble, mid, bass and presence all at 12 o'clock gives you a flat response.

Note the shift control has no affect when the mid is in the 12 oclock position; so it does not matter what you do with it when the mid is nuetral.

Unlike the Fender twin, the controls on the NV400 work from a 0 (no affect at 12 oclock) state cutting to the left, and boosting to the right of 12 oclock. The Fender often uses a lot of log controls also; and this further makes them unlike the settings on amps like Peavey's.

IE, most of the "meat" of a Fender control is eaten during the first 10 or so degrees from off (zero setting) position. Leo wanted it this way as a marketing tool. And it worked. The volume control works the same way. Beyond about 3 nothing much changes.

Not so on a NV400. When you go left of center on any control you can clearly hear it cut its respective band. Same for going to the right of center in the case of boosting. And the more you move it, the more you hear the change.

carl