The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  JBL D130 Recone heaven
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2004 12:53 pm    

I just ordered a speaker from Weber VST. It's an old JBL D130f frame that he refurbished/reconed. Ted Weber has these custom cones that are pretty identical to the original D130, same thickness, paper edge (not cloth), same curve, etc. He put a 4-ohm voice coil on it and a JBL aluminum dustcap. This speaker is in my old Twin now. I don't think there's a speaker available that gets this close to an original 4-ohm D130. His price is real nice too at $125 and that included the JBL D130f frame. They're not that powerful though. He said the vc is conservatively rated at 50 watts rms and thinks that a 80 watt Twin would be just fine with it. I've played a couple of loud gigs so far and it performed with flying colors, and I don't mean sparks and flames.

Brad Sarno
Blue Jade Audio Mastering
St. Louis, MO

Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2004 7:24 pm    

This is good news. I thought that the recone kits were no longer available. Question? I thought all the original D130 (not F) were 16 ohm speakers.
Anyhow I have a dual Showman cabinet with that needs the speakers you are talking about. The Showman amp (brain)blackface is 80 watts and I think it was made for an 8 ohm load.
Anyway sounds great. How do I reach this source?

Thanks, Ron

p.s. LOVE the Steel Guitar Black Box!

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2004 9:12 pm    

Ron, goto www.webervst.com. Send Ted Weber a personal message describing what you want. You're right, "they" don't make the 4-ohm kit anymore. This is something he's figured out how to assemble and do.

Enjoy,
Brad

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 3 May 2004 12:11 pm    

I found a Dual Showman cab on E-Bay and bought it privately from the seller....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10171&item=3719119767

I found there ARE re-cone kits available from the Harman Pro Group here in the UK... this was their reply to my enquiry...

quote:
Hello Basil,

This is a very old driver and as such the original kit is unavailable, however there is another kit that is of the same spec that will do the job. The details are as follows:

Part number: C8RE130 £152.11 retail x VAT

We are unable to supply to the public at present and so should you wish to order I recommend that you contact a company called Cimple Solutions - 01707 607171 or alternatively online at www.cimplespares.com , hope this helps.

Regards

Steve Watson
Harman Pro UK

BTW that's an 8Ohm coil.
Baz

------------------
Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com