The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Straight into the board
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 3:03 pm    

I'm going into a rehearsal studio and will be running through the PA board. (Last week there was a spare amp--a PV 5150. Now, Mr. Van Halen's needs and mine are somewhat different. Although it was fun playing with this new amp (any time, any place, I consider it a treat to try a new amp) it was way too dirty, way too little headroom for my needs. Anyway, one of the luxuries of commercial rehearsal space is not having to haul your rig so I'll be damned if I'm gonna bring mine.

Question:

What do I need to know about running through the board. I want to spend a minimum of time fussing with this. Plug and play, if possible. I need ok sound, not killer sound. Any helpful points here? Or is it pretty straight forward?

I am sometimes using a Peavey Max 100 Transtube floor multi-unit that has a pre-amp section. Should I use that up front?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Ron McNuss

Manassas, VA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 8:13 pm    

Jon,

For what it's worth, here's my two cents worth:

If this is only a REHEARSAL studio, then basically, you should be able to connect directly into the "hi-impendance" input of the mixer. However, your sound will be difficult to control quickly (unless you set up next to the board!! *grin*). If the board has a "line" input, you can use your Peavey Max 100 Transtube. Using a Peavey Max 100 Transtube in front of the mixer will give you greater control over your sound...

However, please NEVER let anyone talk you into going directly into a board at a RECORDING STUDIO!!! I did this once (trying to be a "team player" and cooperative and such), but I was VERY disappointed with teh results... always have the sound engineer "mike" your amp... you will be MUCH happier!! ;-)

Take care, and have a great day!!

------------------
'74 Emmons D-10 P/P 10P/4K
'78 Emmons D-10 P/P 8P/5K
'66 ShowBud D-10 "Fingertip" 8P/4K
'50s Fender 400 S-8 (4P/1K)
Peavey Nashville 400
Peavey TubeFex

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 12:01 am    

Jon,
Are you talking about Smash rehersal studio ? That Peavey metal amp sounds a heck of alot better than the board. Make sure that you are not overloading the imput. If its the amp I am thinking of it can sound great with a little tweaking. Rehersal studio board-No Bueno !
Get there early and get dibs. If you are stuck some sort of pre amp would help. I use a Goodrich Super Sustain Matchbox for emergencys.

That Peavey box should help alot in front of your signal to the board

Recording direct is another issue.

Bob

[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 12 January 2001 at 12:06 AM.]

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 2:54 am    

Ron--this is indeed Rehearsal, not Recording. I will bring the Max 100. Sounds like it will be a good idea to have sound-shaping (and level controlling) ability up-front. Thanks for your input (no pun intended....well maybe just a little....).

Bob--bingo. Yep. Smash studios. And actually I enjoyed some of the sound I was getting out of the brown tone machine. Unfortunately at this time I have yet to teach these guys volume control. At the levels necessary I just can't get the high volume tone without breaking up. If we cut everything 20% I think you are right about the amp. The other point--I am being a team player. In my opinion I can better adapt to going thru the board than the guitarist who would otherwise be stuck so I'm not calling dibs even though I'm always first there.

Ever try to plug into the parrot?

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 6:09 am    

After doing this more than a few times, I have determined:

Tell the mixerboard operator that YOU will supply your own effects (reverb,delay,echo) and for him only to diddle with the highs,lows, and mid-range tone controls on your (the steel) channel.

This is because most times the mixer-board operator dosen't understand the metering and sounds that certain effects has on the overall sound from your insturment. What to you sounds correct, if the sound guy trieds to control, really distroys desired effects.

Just my 2cents.....

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 10:10 am    

Jon,

Maybe you could split your signal. If your gizmo or volume pedal has 2 outputs use the amp and supliment with the board. I've been stuck using that board a couple times and I always get that "What the heck has my life come to " feeling. Also there is nothing you can do about all that hum. I've wasted a couple rehersals trying to fix it. The best thing to do is yell "Serenity Now ,Serenity Now ! " several times and put up with it.

BTW: That parrot has it in for me ! Trying to get to the bathroom is a lesson in terror.

Bob

Ron McNuss

Manassas, VA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 11:07 am    

hehheheheh... um, who (whom?), or what is "The Parrot"???? ...sounds like someone has a GOOD story there...

------------------
'74 Emmons D-10 P/P 10P/4K
'78 Emmons D-10 P/P 8P/5K
'66 ShowBud D-10 "Fingertip" 8P/4K
'50s Fender 400 S-8 (4P/1K)
Peavey Nashville 400
Peavey TubeFex

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 12:38 pm    

Nothing mysterious here. This place has 6 or 7 practice rooms off of a common waiting area/hallway with some vending machines (VERY hip touch--a candy machine with the standard candy/cookie options as well as single strings and guitar picks) and a huge mutha Amazon parrot (or is that a macaw?) who, as far as I can tell runs the place. It perches free-range, craps on the floor (on paper, mostly), eyeballs you as you come and go and pretty much makes you hug the wall as you squeeze by heading for the can.
It would be quaint if it didn't look so lethal.

I'll take your words under advisement, Bob--We are short one amp unless I bring my own (last week we were missing one guy so that's why I was in the 5150) so this week I will try the board and if it sucks too bad then I guess I'll be carting my own in the future.

Bill--I hear you. It's a modest setup so won't nobody be tweaking that board but me. (And nobody to blame but myself---or the damned parrot.....yeah....that's the ticket!)

Wayne Wallett

Shermans Dale, PA USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 7:33 pm    

I'm rollin on the floor, the parrot story is too much!!! Now my2 cents worth. I for years always was micd in the studio. some decent sound some bad sound. Not the playing or the equipment. It was the idiots behind the board. I now have my own studio and my newest CD I cut direct out of an Evans amp into the board and it cut great. Evans has a gain control on back to match level to board.....works great. I'll
put the sound I have against anyones except about 5 or so of the top pros.
....Wayne Wallett