The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tech 21 Amps
Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2000 3:38 am    

Has anyone tried a Direct Recording Combo Amp, the Trademark 10, from a NYC company called Tech 21?
It contains a Sans Amp tube emulator,and a spring reverb and it is very small and not ridiculously expensive.
The demonstrator did not know if anyone had ever used one with steel and I thought it might make a useful practice amp as well as being good in the studio. It has XLR out too so it would go into a PA if i could not be bothered with my big amp.
I'm very tempted. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2000 6:43 am    

I used to own the Tademark 60 and I could get a great sound with my Sierra. I think it's the only solid-state amp that really sounds like a tube amp. Too bad I had to sell it.

------------------
martin abend my homepage martinabend@yahoo.com
s-10 sierra crown gearless 3 x4 - fender hotrod deluxe

Doug Frank

Columbus, OH
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2000 8:08 am    

Hi Dave,
I'm a big fan of the Tech 21 amps. I have a Trademark 60 and a Trademark 10. I have used both for guitar, mandolin, bass and lap and pedal steel. When we play out, I use the direct out and plug into our PA system for sound reinforcement. In smaller venues, I tend to use the 60 alone with steel, but I have used the 10 for practice with both steel and other instruments. I love 'em both and think they are both worth checking out. Both amps are very versatile, especially for overdriven guitar and lapsteel.

We recorded a song where I used the Trademark 10 with the steel. It gave pretty good sound at low recording levels. Take a listen if you want.
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/df1587

Go to the music folder listen to habits.mp3

Best wishes....Doug

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2000 11:52 am    

I have the rack mount sans amp psa-1 The tech 21 amps are modeled after this tonal circuitry. I have used this extensively for recording with excellent results for both guitar and pedal steel. I use it frequently plugged into the PA for guitar.

------------------
Steve Stallings
Bremond, Texas
Carter D10/Evans

Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2000 2:45 am    

I use the POD 2.0 for practice and recording and I must say, the more I play it, the more I like it. You should also try the BassPOD and tell us how it works with the steel. Well, at least I'd be very interested... :

------------------
martin abend my homepage martinabend@yahoo.com
s-10 sierra crown gearless 3 x4 - fender hotrod deluxe

J Sigerson

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2000 1:34 am    

I actually own a POD and a Trademark 10 (I know, I can't help it; I work in a music store - this stuff just follows me home!).

I think the Trademark 10 is a little more useful for steel; the POD tends to get overloaded (input clipping) too easily.

Bear in mind, the TM10 is a guitar amp, designed to emulate big guitar amps, and doesn't have the same freq response as your big ol' Peaveys. It's fun for "old school" tube sounds, and is very lightweight and practical. It sounds pretty good. I use it for practising 6 string and let my (6 string) students play through it at lessons.

However, it is very much "guitar-voiced", and for practising steel, I've recently switched to a cheapie acoustic guitar amp.

Your mileage may vary, but don't forget to give those tone knobs a spin; like all of Tech 21's stuff, their active, and have a huge effect on the available sounds.

-Joel

Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2000 2:47 am    

Thanks everybody. I suppose I'll have to do what I always thought I'd have to do. Put the steel in the car and drive a hundred miles to the nearest shop that has them and try one out.
Thanks anyway!

------------------
Cheers!