The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stromberg/Carlson speakers
Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2000 1:58 am    

Has anyone used a 15" full-range Stromberg/Carlson speaker for steel application? These were made in the 50's and have a very heavy (monster) magnet structure along w/ a very nicely "chromed" basket. I'm thinking of building/buying a small set of cabs and trying these out for my rack set-up.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2000 4:33 am    

Those speakers were probably not designed for musical instruments and very high power. You can try them but I'd be leery of blowing them.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2000 12:09 am    

I have seen some S-C speakers, but they weren't particularly "husky". Jack's right...they're probably out of a stereo, and not designed for a whole lot of power. How big is the voice coil? If it's less than 1 1/2", it's not designed for a lot of power. You say they have a "monster magnet", are you sure? A good 15" speaker will weigh in at 20-25 pounds. And, anyway, if they don't hold up, you can then load your cabinets with some good steel speakers!

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2000 2:13 am    

Ok........probably won't suffice.I found an old brochure that says:Model#RF483 Slimline, division of General Dynamics.They weigh about 14LBS. Voice coil is 2" with seperate 2" tweeter mounted atop the 15".Both paper style cones, power handling capacity 100W program material & 32 Watts tweeter.When my Dad had these as part of his stereo components 50/60's, he had a Harmon/Kardon 100W (4 6L6's) power amp to drive them.