The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New lapsteel practice amp!
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2000 11:17 am    

I have recently "discovered" an amp for my lapsteels that I had never considered before!

The "amp" in question is a Sony CD boombox with "mic mixing" mini phone jack input and accompanying volume control. I put an adapter on my guitar cable (1/4" to mini) and plugged into the boombox. Driving two speakers (3 inch?) the sound is nice and clean at lower volumes and then gets nice and dirty as you turn up the volume! Best of all, I can go anywhere with this setup and jam with friends playing acoustic guitars etc. Beats hauling the 60lb plus Boogie combo around!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2000 5:19 pm    

I've found the Peavey Minix 110 bass amp makes a good all around low volume level practice amp. It doesn't have any reverb, etc since it was designed for bass but I've used it with my Telecaster and my Franklin. The small amp beats carrying a biggie when it isn't needed.

Dave Brophy

Miami FL
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2000 12:20 am    

Bill,
The chances are pretty high that you'll blow the speakers out on that boombox.Stereo type speakers are made differently than musical instrument speakers,and can't handle the dynamic peaks.
I'd recommend an inexpensive solid state practice amp.Or a little tube amp,if you want to spend more.

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2000 5:19 pm    

Dave, thanks for the warning. I'll keep it down!

-Bill

seldomfed

Colorado
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2000 6:07 pm    

Hi Bill,
One of my favorite practice 'amps' is the Korg 'PANDORA'. Headphone practice amp, metronome, tuner all in one. Cool features= small, tons of digital effects from reverb to distortion, create your own presets (like one for guitar, one for steel, one for acoustic,...), and an input for an external source so you can jam with a tape or CD! It is quite amazing. Facilitates couch potato lap steel playing - won't bug the family.
later,
Chris

------------------
Chris Kennison
Ft. Collins, Colorado
"We can't afford to let Nature Run Wild" - govt. offical - Alaska