The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Evans Amp
Gary Dillard

Tuscaloosa, AL
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2000 8:31 am    

I just received my new Evans SE200 amp. I personally feel it is lacking the "guts" or "body" I was looking for. I am having a difficult time getting the tones I need. I will say it is great to have a 48 lb amp instead of the Session 500, but I sure miss the "BIG" sound of the Session 500. Any comments or suggestions surely welcomed. My warranty period is about up!
Thanks

[This message was edited by Gary Dillard on 15 November 2000 at 08:33 AM.]

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2000 10:52 am    

Gary, I've never tried the SE200 amp, but I've owned an FET500 and I believe the controls are the same. I ran it like this:
Treble: 2 or 3
Body: 8 or 9
Bass: 8 or 9
Depth switch: on
Expand: sometimes on
Vol: 3 or 4
Master: 3 or 4
I've found that amp to have gobs of low-mid and lows more than any amp I've owned.

Gary Steele

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2000 3:41 pm    

Gary I got a brand new one a while back and found the same thing. Maybe they can correct that. Gary

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2000 5:24 pm    

I am not sure that a JBL will fit inside a SE150 or SE200. If you want a JBL in your new Evans I think you need to special order a special cabinet or at least rearranged insides.
Does anyone know for sure? I would like to try a D130 in my Evans SE150 with HiVoltage.
Best smelling amp made in my humble opinion.
Chris

Gary Dillard

Tuscaloosa, AL
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2000 8:30 pm    

Thanks. I worked with it tonight and found the amp to be more pleasing. I only have a few more days before the "trial" period runs out. May try the Peavey 1000...but a big difference tonight.

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2000 4:32 am    

Gary, like you and many others, I've always liked the big full sound of the Peavey Session 500. Before your "trial" period runs out, by all means, do take the time to try a Peavey Nashville 1000. If you like the sound of the old 500, you're going to love the sound of the new Nashville 1000!

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2000 9:26 am    

I'm an Evans endorser, and I think its among the best of the "boutique" steel guitar amps. And, in fairness, I also own a Webb 6-14E and a Nashville 400 w/LeMay. Each have their own characteristic sound, and I've enjoyed playing through all of them.

JBL's don't work in a standard recent-issue Evans due to the speaker baffleboard cutout, which is seeking a front-mount speaker (JBL is a rear-mount). I'm personally of the opinion that a JBL has too many accentuated highs for the Evans; I can barely set my Treble control above "2," anyway.

I replaced the Eminence speaker in my 1996 Evans SE200 with a Black Widow 1502-4, as suggested by Ed Buffington of Evans. Unlike the JBL, it's a direct drop-in replacement and is a great combination with the Evans amp. I use the same EQ settings as mentioned above, with or without the low-end boost switch.

I should also mention that in my late-70's Evans FET-500, a JBL K-130 fits perfectly and offers a beautiful sound. But that amp is from a different period in the Evans history.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages

Larry R

Navasota, Tx.
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2000 1:24 pm    

Are we talking about the new Evans Hi-Power
(Hi-voltage) amp in a cabinet? I played a Mullen through the new Hi-Po unit last yr at Charlies. The tone was sooooo smooooooooth and warm. There was a Peavey 1000 and a 2000 sitting next to the Evans. I played through all 3 amps (all 3 were new amps I might add).
I kept going back to the Evans everytime.