The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  XLR Output on Nashville 1000?
John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2000 9:46 pm    

I recently played a gig with my new Nash 1000 amp and was feeling very smug about the fact that I didn't have to run out and buy that extra mike I'd been planning to buy. This was due to the presence of an XLR output jack on the back of the amp, eliminating the cumbersome "miking up" of the amp. However, after the first note of the first song, I realized the signal out of the XLR jack is a "dry" signal, i.e., no effects, no reverb.

OOOPS!

I realize this is helpful to the talented sound crews who often prefer a dry signal so they can add effects as they see fit. What about the other, real-world situations? Face it, often/usually, there's a crew of one setting up the system, testing speakers, cables, mikes, etc. and the last thing on this guy's mind is the FX applied to the steel player's monitor. Is my amp deficient, is there a switch allowing the option of "dry/wet" or do I have to go out and buy that mike after all?

Weekend warriors want to know.

John

HWHYoYo

West Sunbury, PA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2000 10:03 pm    

On mine the signal was so hot that the sound man couldn't turn the trim above 1 without clipping. He was unable to control it. I solved the problem by using a Peavey EDI direct box.