The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pickup wiring problem
Alan Michael

Winston-Salem North Carolina U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2000 10:12 am    

I'm three months into my first pedal steel (1983 Sho-Bud LDG) and needless to say I'm hopelesslly addicted. I've changed some of my knee levers around and explored different setups so I have a pretty good understanding of the mechanics of this particular instrument. In messing around with my undercarriage I found a loose wire, probably something I broke loose when I pulled my changer to clean it. I expect that it is a ground wire because my guitar still plays. I know almost nothing about the electronics of these instruments and I really don't think there is anyone in town that I can take it to (small town and we're pretty isolated up here.) Can anyone explain to me or lead me through the proper way to wire a single coil pickup to the input jack on the underside of the guitar? Any help from perhaps another Sho-Bud owner or someone who understands electronics more than me (practically everyone) would be greatly appreciated.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2000 1:08 pm    

Hey Alan there should be two wires coming from your pickup and connect to the input jack. Now if you have another wire hangin'; I would say it goes to or went to a coil tab knob. Do you have a extra knob on the side of your LDG? if so than there should be a wire inline to the input jack from that; so could that be the wire?
Or is someone took off the coil tap knob; they may of left the wire in there.
Ricky

Alan Michael

Winston-Salem North Carolina U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2000 2:49 pm    

Hi Ricky,
No, I don't have an extra knob on the side of my LDG, but here's what I do have. Two wires from the pickup, one from the middle and one nearer the edge, soldered together just under the pickup with only one of the wires continuing on to the input jack. It is soldered to one of two prongs at the input jack. These two prongs are also connected together with a shorter wire. I would guess that this pickup was taken out and then later re-installed.