The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boss VF-1
Garry Pugh

Nashville Indiana
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2000 5:54 am    

I'm looking for a good pre-amp/effects processor for my studio. I've heard good things about the Boss VF-1 in conjunction with guitar. HAs anyone had experience with it on PSG, and if so what are your feelings?
Also, has anyone tried it as a pre-amp for live work?

I'm a big fan of the Boss stomp boxes but have little or no experience with any of their integrated products.

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 7:16 am    

I highly recommend this little box, both for the studio and for live work with the PSG. I also have the GX-700 preamp, which was the precursor for this, and the VF-1 is far superior in every way, with the exception that it doesn't have an internal effects loop. The reverbs are fantastic (all 24 bit), there are great digital delays and models of tape echos, and the other effects are amazing (this thing even has a great vocoder).

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 7:36 am    

Is the VF-1 rackable? Can you reorder the effects like you can in the GX-700?

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 8:04 am    

Yes (you need a kit), and yes.

It's a half rack unit.

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com

Dan Dowd

Paducah, KY, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2000 6:22 am    

Dan is the Roland programing capability like the Profex ll, and does it have the EQ settings and such. I have been thinking about this unit for a while since I first heard about it, but didn't want to be the first one to try it. I have a Provex ll and a Lexicon MPX 100.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2000 11:32 am    

If this is anything like the old SE-50, its a great unit. I've used the SE-50 for about 8 or 10 years. I've tried a lot of other effects units, but keep coming back to the SE. The SE is much easier to program and sounds better to me than anything else I've tried.

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2000 1:17 pm    

The VF-1 has all of the SE-50 effects, plus a bunch more. Including all the amp models as used in the GP-100 (what Buddy is using these days). It's 24 bit versus 16 bit, and sounds much warmer and less 'digital'.

I'm not that familiar with the 'programmable' features of the profex, but the unit can be midi driven, and you can certainly control all the features. It has more EQ than I could ever need (not only the EQ in the amp models, but also multi-band and parametric eq).

The main missing features are an efx loop, and a tap button for delays.

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com

Sutton Reid

Sebastopol, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2000 1:27 pm    

I've had the GT-3 for about nine months now and from what I've heard, the VF-1 does everything that it does, plus...

The COSM modeling works, IMO. Between amp sims and speaker cab sims, you can plug straight into a PA if you want. The effects chain, including the external loop is set patch by patch. I looked at Pod when I got this one and GT3 is a lot more flexible, IMO, and better for clean. It also needs a better tremelo, but every other effect is first rate.

The main thing would be if you like the amp sims. The GT3 is great for six string, but PS is a totally different animal.

The downside is for guys/gals who are used to having knobs on the front of your amp to tweak. There is no escaping the manual on this one.

Anyway, it is an awfully convenient package.

------------------
Why fret? Just let it slide...