The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pre-amps?
Bruce Griffin

Iowa City, Iowa
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2000 6:08 am    

I need advice on pre-amps. I want to go to a rack system, with probably a MosValve power amp. The Mesa pre-amps seem well liked; which one is the best for steel (with a little guitar, ideally)? The Tubeworks units seem to have a core of fans also. Not much opportunity to try these things around here because they are rarely seen in the area stores. Thanks!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2000 6:20 am    

I'm using a Peavey Transtube Fex preamp/processor with my MosValve 500. Works great and I get great complements about my sound with that system (and two Peavey 1203-8 speakers).

If you go with the TubeWorks preamp, check with Herby Wallace on the steel modded model, it's what Herby uses.

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2000 8:31 am    

I have this same Tubeworks preamp (model 9002 w/steel mod). I love it. I A/Bd it against 3-4 other popular preamps, and for me, this thing does the trick. Herby does have very good prices. And I also have a ~7 month old MosValve 1500 power amp (250 watt/channel into 4 ohnms) coming up for sale if you or anyone else is interested. I'm the original owner and it's in Exc+++ condition.

I'm keeping the preamp, though, it's great.

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2000 7:20 am    

A pre amp is in many ways just a hard-wired EQ with some gain. I get a great tone when using an Alesis M-EQ-230 equalizer as my preamp for a MosValve 500. It has plenty of gain, can dial in any EQ setting that you want and is crystal clear. You can also set one side with different EQ settings and switch between them with a switch. Go from Buddy to Ralph with a push of your finger. To me, it is a little better than my Evan's preamp and a lot cheaper. I found mine used for about $120.

The tube preamps bring along warmth in the signal that you may want over the solid state, however each has its particular EQ and tone.

Bill

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2000 9:34 pm    

One of the best sounding pre-amps for steel I`ve tried is an Ampeg SVT single space bass preamp.
5 pre amp tubes,graphic eq etc.Lots of headroom and warmth!
They shouldn`t be too hard to find,either.

------------------
Olli Haavisto
Polar steeler
Finland

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2000 5:34 pm    

Bruce, I use the older Tubeworks Blue Tube II with the Mosvalve. Has 2 channels so it works really well for switching from steel to 6 string. You can get a good clean sound for guitar or turn up the gain and down on the vol. for some edge. I haven't had any experience with the 9002 but I'm sure it works just as well or better. Just be sure you get the steel mod or you won't be happy with it for steel.
Another thing to consider is that the PV Trans and Tubefex units combine the preamp and multi-fx all in one box and they have a tuner also! Sump'n to keep in mind if you're concerned about the space or weight of your rig.

[This message was edited by Jerry Overstreet on 13 September 2000 at 06:41 PM.]

[This message was edited by Jerry Overstreet on 13 September 2000 at 06:46 PM.]

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2000 9:29 pm    

I also like tube bass preamps for steel. I have a Kern preamp I like a lot. The Boss GX-700 or Roland GP-100 has a preamp that has some great steel tones. The new Boss VF-1 has some great clean preamps.

But my favorite is my THD tube head. It has volume and tone controls, and doesn't need anything else.

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com

LARRY COLE

LANCASTER, OHIO, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2000 11:28 am    

Bill, I tried the Alesis MEQ 230 and it sounded great. I went from volume pedal to EQ to Alesis Midiverb to power amp in on my Nashville 400. I had to tweek the sliders a little but it sounds real good.

------------------
LC. WILLIAMS U12

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2000 12:56 pm    

Gerry Walker makes a stereo preamp that a number of well known players use- see his web site- www.stereosteel.com

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 5:58 am    

Hi Bruce
I picked up an original Furman PQ-3 and use it in a rack with my digital delay and MicroVerb. I think Furman has reissued the PQ-3 recently. It has a Low, mid and high frequency control panel. All frequency ranges can be dialed in, then expanded with another control, then raised or lowered in volume with a 3rd control. Very versatile for controlling blending the frequencies.
Dennis

Derrell Stephens

Shreveport, La. USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 5:28 am    

I use an Evans! So does John Hughey! good stuff; did many comparisons; no tube fuss and real close to that sound with the voltage gain harmonics!!! Key - - find what you like and stick with it until something better comes along.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 1:39 pm    

I've been using an old Furman PQ-3 these days myself. I found it on Ebay for $90. Sonny Garrish uses one also.

Bob

------------------
Franklin D-10

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 2:19 pm    

Emmons used a PQ-3 on the Live album at the convention

Chris Allen Burke

Signal Hill, CA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2000 4:04 am    

Just Wanted to get in with this. 6 years ago I bought a Mesa Boogie Tri Axis. Single space, tube, midi controlabe unit. It has been the best most versital pre-amp I have ever seen, heard or used. I've had to factory repair it once and they upgraded several componets at the time. It sounds big and warm yet crystal clear. I play gtr as well and has all the programs from all the mesa amps. All can be modified to user prefers. I use a digitech midi foot controler to change patches on the fly, works great. This pre has the nastiest and richest sounding overdrives you'll ever find. Studio outs for recording direct, programable Fx loop switching and lots more. Cost is up there though. $1300. But you get what you pay for.

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2000 10:53 am    

This year I've been using a Peavey VMP/2 all tube preamp, and it has performed flawlessly. Dual channel, six stage gain structure(3 12AX7's), and a 12AT7 on the output--both channels. Quieter and more gain than any of my other preamps, definitely a pro-level unit....highly recommended for any level.

SveinungL

Gjøvik - Norway - Europe - Earth
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 5:10 am    

I recently bought a Mesa Boogie Studio preamp at Ebay for 300$. It plays wonderful

------------------
Thanks SveinungL - Norway
----------------
Kentucky Riders

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 5:11 pm    

Bruce...I've got the MosValve 1500 power amp and 9002 pre amp with the steel mod that I got from Herby Wallace back in March of this year, and it's a killer tone. I've got to "liquidate" some stuff to come up with the cash for the new ZumSteel that's gonna be ready soon. If you think you may be interested, shoot me an e-mail.
Roger